Menu

Cottam roadworks to continue as ‘traffic calming’ project pushes works past six-month mark

Posted on - 15th October, 2021 - 7:00am | Author - | Posted in - Cottam, Ingol, Politics, Preston News, Roads, Transport
The roadworks in Hoyles Lane Pic: Blog Preston

Lancashire County Council has today confirmed that Cottam’s Hoyles Lane roadworks will continue.

Advertisement

The project was scheduled for completion after eight weeks, but as of Tuesday 12 October, the works and temporary traffic lights have been present for six months.

A frustrated Cottam resident contacted Blog Preston to express their concerns.

They said: “The highways department have stopped the work, and no one can find out what is going on or when they’re likely to finish.”

Read more: Cottam residents anger about over-running roadworks 

The roadworks in Hoyles Lane Pic: Blog Preston

Blog Preston reached out to Lancashire County Council for comment.

A Lancashire County Council spokesperson said the highway improvements are part of the planning conditions for the nearby Taylor Wimpey housing development.

They said: “The area is currently safely operating under the control of temporary signals, and it will continue to be the case until these works are complete.

“Once finished, the scheme will complement existing traffic calming, intended to discourage inappropriate vehicle speeds and use of Hoyles Lane as a through route.

Read more: Penwortham cycle superhighway roadworks to begin

The spokesperson said it is a long-term goal for a significant section of the local community, who have ongoing concerns regarding the amount of through traffic utilising Hoyles Lane rather than the preferred route of Cottom Way.

“The completed scheme will also provide improved pedestrian facilities inclusive of a new pedestrian crossing in the vicinity of the post office.

“The works have been paused to allow the developers to reexamine part of the scheme. It was following discussions with our highways team about the design.

“An amendment to the design has subsequently been completed, modelled and appraised as part of an independent safety audit, with the modified design ready to be implemented.

“However, this work cannot restart until some further planned work to BT communications infrastructure is complete. Both the developer and the county council are making representations to BT to expedite their works so construction can be finished and traffic management removed.”

Read more: Lancashire’s highways team need your help to name their gritters in time for winter 

Blog Preston contacted Cllr Trevor Hart of Ingol and Cottam Ward for comment.

He said the area is just outside of his ward, but he has spoken with the relevant ward councillor, who has looked into the matter.

Cllr Hart said: “Clearly, a mistake has been made. As a result, the developer in question and highways are looking to rectify the design and right the issue.

“This is clearly going to take longer than any of us are happy with, and the temporary lights will remain in place until both a solution is arrived at and the work is completed.”



Read moreSee the latest Preston news and headlines

What are your thoughts on the development? Let us know in the comments below

Share
Preston in pictures Snow place to sitSt George,s Christmas treeBrass Pan LaneSpringWalking in the SnowAutumn in bluebell woodLady in blackBertie The Little Boat View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.