China House restaurant owner fined for health and safety breaches

Posted on - 19th May, 2015 - 7:00am | Author - | Posted in - Crime, Preston Council, Preston News, University campus
China House closed up in June 2014

China House closed up in June 2014

The owner of a now closed Chinese restaurant in Preston has been fined for health and safety breaches.


Wen Qaing Cai, who owned the former China House restaurant in Aqueduct Street, was sentenced at Preston Magistrates’ Court to four offences.

Cai, 35, of Preston Road, Chorley, pleaded guilty to failing to protect the health and aafety of his employees, and others, failure to comply with a requirement for access to the cellar of his restaurant, and to ensure that gas work was carried out by an approved person.

Health and safety inspectors found in 2013 a cooking range had been leaking gas.

Gas canisters found in the basement of the restaurant

Gas canisters found in the basement of the restaurant

Further inspections found a hot water heater in the staff living quarters had its front removed, leading to the production of carbon monoxide.

The gas range which was found to be leaking

The gas range which was found to be leaking

Lancashire Fire and Rescue Services area fire safety manager Brad Walker said if a fire had broken out at the premises they would have needed to evacuate hundreds of nearby homes and businesses, and even required the close of the West Coast mainline.

Cai was given four concurrent terms of six months in prison which were suspended for 12 months.

Magistrates also ordered him to complete 200 hours of unpaid work, pay a £2,000 fine, £80 victim surcharge and £2,699.87 in costs.

The boiler found in staff living quarters

The boiler found in staff living quarters

Cabinet member for planning and regulations, Councillor John Swindells, said: “Health and safety is an area which is taken seriously in Preston. Most companies in Preston are run to a very high standard. However, we will not hesitate to take legal action against those that act illegally.”

Senior environmental health officer at Preston City Council, Jonathan Cruickshank, said: “Due to timely interventions with our partner organisations, fortunately no-one was injured. If the illegal gas works had not been found it is likely that the consequences could have been a fire or explosion that could have seriously injured or killed staff and members of the public.

“Anyone working on gas installations and appliances must be a member of the Gas Safe Register and prove they are competent to work on the gas appliances concerned. All gas engineers can be checked on Gas Safe Register website.

“It is vital that gas-fired catering equipment is properly checked and maintained as gas leaks can go undetected in commercial kitchens due to food odours and the use of the extractor fan whilst cooking.”

Preston in pictures Scenic reflections on the river at PrestonDown by the river at PrestonRiver Ribble reflections at PrestonCloud reflections on the Ribble at PrestonBroadgate walkway and riverReflections at Preston's riverCloudy reflections at PrestonSunset cloud reflections at Preston Docks View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.