Menu

Lancashire County Council issue further statement about primary schools not taking more pupils

Posted on - 28th May, 2020 - 3:56pm | Author - | Posted in - Politics, Preston News, Schools
Sign on the gates of a school in Ashton-on-Ribble during lockdown Pic: Tony Worrall
Sign on the gates of a school in Ashton-on-Ribble during lockdown Pic: Tony Worrall

Lancashire County Council has issued an additional statement after the news it was now not recommending primary schools accept more pupils from Monday 1 June.

Advertisement

During Wednesday (27 May) afternoon the county council revealed it had changed its advice to headteachers.

Previously the council had said it would support whatever decision each headteacher made but moved on Wednesday to say it was recommending primary schools and nurseries did not reopen.

The government had asked schools and nurseries to reopen to early years children, reception, year one and year six pupils on June 1.

The county council said it could not meet two of the five tests set out by the government for the safe reopening of schools.

Read more: Preston outdoor market to reopen next week with social distancing measures

During Thursday (May 28) the county council has issued a second statement.

A spokesperson said: “Thanks for all your feedback.

“We know it’s an area that’s of understandable concern for parents.

“We really value the hard work schools and other education settings have made throughout the crisis and the prep they’ve been making to open to further pupils.

“However, the safety and wellbeing of our pipils, families and school staff is paramount, and we’ve only issued this advice after very careful consideration by our Director of Public Health.

“We’d like to assure you that this decision will be reviewed regularly so that as soon as we can advise schools and other settings that it’s safe to reopen to more pupils.

“We’ve updated our website to make clear that the advice is also pertinent to our early years providers and settings. These settings are important to us, as we know the hard work they do to support children and families.”

Leader of the county council, councillor Geoff Driver, appeared on BBC Radio Lancashire during Thursday morning to speak further on the issue.

Read more: Clearance work at Larches House riles nearby residents

Read more: See the latest Preston news and headlines

What do you think about the county council’s decision? Let us know in the comments below

Share
Preston in pictures Butchers stall at Preston MarketFruit & Veg stall at Preston MarketMerry Christmas from Preston MarketsIlluminated Preston MarketChristmas sign at PrestonDecorating street in PrestonIlluminated Fishergate in PrestonChristmas tree at Winckley Square, Preston View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.