How can a comedy show in Chinese be understood by everyone?

Posted on - 2nd July, 2015 - 12:00pm | Author - | Posted in - Arts, City Centre, Preston City Centre, Things to Do in and around Preston, Tringe, What's On in Preston
Louise Reay with It's Only Words

Louise Reay with It’s Only Words

As part of the Preston Tringe festival, Louise Reay presents It’s Only Words, a comedy show in Chinese for people who don’t speak any Chinese at all!


This unique debut from documentary maker and comedian Louise Reay is based on the idea that only 7% of communication is verbal. It’s Only Words experiments with the remaining 93%. You’ll understand it, but you won’t know why.

Described by Reay as “my first ever show where the audience will literally have no idea what I’m talking about”, It’s Only Words plays with the audience’s preconceptions about humanity and communication through a mix of clowning and stand up. Reay will range over some very familiar territory – family, sex and relationships – in a very unfamiliar language.

“It might sound strange” says Reay, “but people have been performing comedy in this way for centuries. This work is a nod to the medieval tradition of ‘grammelot’ where travelling performers used an expressive physical language to communicate.

“The show is based on my research through making documentaries with the most marginalised members of society, such as the elderly and illegal immigrants, so often isolated due to communication barriers, and with the deaf community who told me the deaf are so in tune with our body movements it’s almost impossible to lie to them!”

Title: Louise Reay: It’s Only Words

Venue: The Angel, 39 Lune Street, Preston PR1 2NN

Dates: Wednesday, 29th July 2015

Time: 19.15pm

Duration: 1 hour

Entry: FREE

More information about Louise Reay can be found on her website.

Will you go to see Louise Reay’s It’s Only Words? Let us know in the comments below.

Preston in pictures Avenham lane , Preston, 05.08.2022 KLMain sprit Weind , preston , 05.08.2022Main sprit Weind , preston , 05.08.2022Main sprit Weind , preston , 05.08.2022Main sprit Weind , preston , 05.08.2022Standing waiting to goStagecoach service to LongridgeWalk down by the millennium Ribble link . 31.07.2022 KL View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.