Lancashire County Council confirmed some people claiming the Covid Winter Grant are having issues accessing their vouchers.Advertisement
The council said that only a small number of people are affected as the majority of families access their vouchers through their schools.
Read more: Concerns raised over dimly lit footpath in Fulwood regularly used by hospital staff
A Lancashire County Council spokesperson said: “We’ve been told some people who are eligible for Covid Winter Grant payments have had a problem accessing their vouchers. We are very sorry about this.
“The number of people affected is small, but we appreciate how worrying it will be for those who are so please rest assured we are investigating this urgently. We are confident the issue will be resolved soon and will provide regular updates.”
BBC Local Democracy Reporter, Paul Faulkner, based at the Lancashire Post, reported on how families had been left facing hardship over Easter due to the delays.
Read more: Latest Preston planning applications for March 19 to March 26
The £170 million Covid Winter Grant Scheme came into force in December 2020 and was to support those most in need across England with the cost of food, energy (heating, cooking, lighting), water bills and other essentials.
The scheme has now been extended to 16 April 2021 and funding has been increased by a further £59.1 million.
See how you can help foodbanks near you
Read more: See the latest Preston news and headlines