A Lea dog owner is warning others to be vigilant after her pooch fell ill from consuming what was believed to be cannabis during a walk in Haslam Park.Advertisement
Fran Atkinson and and her 7-year-old Basset Hound Rodney were in the Ashton-on-Ribble park last Saturday (20 February) when the incident happened, which resulted in Rodney needing urgent veterinary treatment.
Fran said: “We were heading home from the park when Rodney’s back legs suddenly went and he was swaying from side to side. On the way to the vet he was sick in the car.
“When the vet saw Rodney, he confirmed he’d had something toxic, possibly cannabis, and was showing signs of ataxia.
“Rodney was given an apomorphine jab to promote further sickness to get all the toxins out of his system. The vet also advised fluid therapy, but I decided to monitor him at home as he suffers from separation anxiety.”
While Rodney has made a good recovery, Fran is worried that others could be in danger.
“After the incident my partner and I are much more wary about our dogs picking things up. We are normally fairly relaxed yet I feel a bit paranoid now, which is understandable.
“I’m hoping this article will raise awareness, just in case it happens to anyone else’s pets. It was a worry not knowing what Rodney had eaten and whether he would make it.”
Read more: See the latest Preston news and headlines
What do you think of Rodney’s ordeal? Have you experienced anything similar with your dog? Let us know in the comments.