Switch nightclub has been banned from reopening tonight (Saturday 1 August).Advertisement
Preston City Council moved to clarify the situation in a tweet this afternoon, ahead of Switch’s planned reopening after Covid-19 lockdown.
Councillor Peter Moss, Deputy Leader of Preston City Council, said: “Following further clarity and guidance from Government, which we requested, it is clear that Switch nightclub cannot reopen this evening, regardless of the safety measures in place.
“We have formally advised the owner of this position and are working closely with the police to monitor the situation.
“We advise all customers to seek refunds as a prohibition notice will be served if Switch attempts to go ahead with the event this evening.”
A spokesperson for the Preston city centre nightclub had previously claimed it could have reopened in July.
When asked about the reopening, the spokesperson said: “Firstly Switch is not classed as a nightclub on its license, and we could have opened following government guidelines from 4 July – we have just waited a little longer until things calmed down slightly.”
The nightclub had been planning to limit capacity and enforce safety features and social distancing.
Read more: Safety action plan aims to bring people back to Preston city centre
Yesterday Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that a variety of lockdown measures that were meant to be eased will now be postponed, including the reopening of nightclubs.
Read more: See the latest Preston news and headlines
What do you think about Switch being banned from reopening? Were you planning to go? Let us know in the comments.