Plans for a 100 home development in Whitestake are back on the table after a decision to block the scheme was overturned in the High Court.Advertisement
Wainhomes wants to build the housing estate on land off Chain House Lane but South Ribble Council refused the plans, saying the scheme was not necessary in order to meet the area’s housing need.
The council said it could meet the five year demand for homes through other planned developments in South Ribble and said the land at Chain House Lane was protected under the local plan.
Following a public inquiry last year (from 12-15 November 2019), a Government Planning Inspector ruled in favour of South Ribble Borough Council, agreeing that it was the right decision to refuse planning permission for the Chain House Lane site.
However the developer disputed the decision and took the matter to the High Court.
On Friday August 21, Mr Justice Dove quashed the ruling and a second public inquiry will now take place.
Councillor Paul Foster, Leader of South Ribble Borough Council, said: “We are of course extremely disappointed in the decision from the High Court in this matter.
“We’re absolutely confident in our position and believe our decision to refuse the development proposal from Wainhomes for 100 houses on Chain House Lane was the right one.
“We are ready and prepared to defend our decision and will do so now through the formal channels.
“We want to make it absolutely clear that as a council we are pro-development – but only when done in the right way, and in a way that is of benefit to our residents and the wider South Ribble community.”
Read more: Preston RAGE group wants to work with Preston city council to protect green space
eCouncillor Bill Evans, Cabinet Member for Planning, Regeneration and City Deal at South Ribble Borough Council, said: “It is important to note that the overturning of the decision of the Planning Inspectorate in this case was not on the basis of planning merits or policy; it was on the basis of the process taken to reach the decision by the Planning Inspector.
“With this in mind, we are 100% confident in our position and I look forward to taking the next steps to ensure that we can once again defend our decision at a further Public Inquiry.”
A spokesperson for Wainhomes said it would be inappropriate to comment.
.Read more: Latest news from Blog Preston
What do you think of the plans to build 100 new homes in Whitestake? Let us know in the comments section.