Residents at a student flat in Brook Street were saved by the smoke alarms when a fire broke out in the kitchen.Advertisement
An unattended pan caught fire in the communal kitchen at Foundry Court at 11am on Friday June 5.
Four firefighters entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. A ventilation unit was also used to clear the smoke from the property.
All the occupants were outside the building by the time the fire crews arrived, however there was severe smoke damage to the kitchen and further smoke damage to the lounge and first floor corridor.
A LFRS spokesperson said: “All persons were already out of the property on arrival of the Fire Service, which demonstrates the importance of having working smoke detectors fitted to provide an early warning to occupiers.”
Pans should never be left unattended when cooking.
Smoke alarms not only save lives but can also minimise substantial damage to your home.
Every home should have at least one fitted and working.
Remember to regularly test your smoke alarms at least once a week.
Members of the public can contact the fire service on 0800 169 1125 or visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk for more information on safety in the home.
Read more: See the latest Preston news and headlines