Menu

Winckley Square developer ordered to take down banner

Posted on - 13th February, 2019 - 10:23am | Author - | Posted in - History, Preston City Centre, Preston News, Redevelopment, Winckley Square
'The One' in Winckley Square Pic: FWP
‘The One’ in Winckley Square Pic: FWP

A property developer has been ordered to remove or amend how a large banner in Winckley Square is displayed.

Advertisement

Number 6 Winckley Square, previously known as Gorst House, is grade-II listed and due to be refurbished as high end apartments and a gym – and will be known as The One Winckley Square.

Advertisements
Preston Weekender advert

Preston City Council’s planning enforcement officers have ordered the banner to be removed and repairs made to any damage to the brickwork.

Director of Walker and Williams, Max Williams, who own the building said: “The council got in touch to say that they had concerns over the damage the safety screen may be doing to what is considered to be the best building on Winckley Square.

“They have asked us to remove the screen, check for damage -which we are sure there won’t be any – and repair if there is any. We will of course comply with the council and look to have the screen placed on the scaffolding that will be required in due course.”

Advertisements

Read more: See the latest Winckley Square news

Mr Williams, who also runs the new Winckley Square Hotel and No10 Preston in Theatre Street, said further plans for the building would be unveiled in the coming weeks.

Heritage campaigner Aidan Turner-Bishop had expressed his disgust at the banner.

He said: “It should have required formal listed building consent from the planning department.

“It seems unlikely this would have been granted in such a sensitive area.

“One can imagine what Winckley Square might look like if other developer owners took the law into their own hands in a similar way.”

Winckley Square is designated as a Conservation area which means there are strict controls over what can be done to the buildings on the Georgian Square.

Read more: See the latest on redevelopment in Preston

Council spokesperson said: “Attaching an advertisement to a listed building is a planning offence. We have written to both the owner of the building and named advertisers informing them of this and have been told they will remove it and reposition on scaffolding. We hope formal action can be avoided if this happens quickly.

“Our officers will return to inspect the condition of the listed building after the advertisement is removed, as attaching it to the front wall without consent is also a planning offence.”

Share
Advertisements
caritas fostering advert
Preston in pictures Cherry Pie Cafe - Preston Market HallPickles of PrestonRoastPickles of PrestonArthur Strands - Preston Market HallAunty Dolly's CafeMark Williams Fishmonger - Preston Market HallArthur Strands - Preston Market Hall View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's email newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday and Wednesday rounding up our top stories and more.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

The Preston Guide

Discover local businesses and services near you.

    Advertisements
Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Blog Preston email updates

Receive our digest of the biggest and best stories every Sunday to your email inbox

We respect your privacy and you can unsubscribe at any time from our emails