As police launch a crackdown on ‘pop-up brothel’s operating in hotel rooms and rental properties across the city, here’s how to spot if you’re living or staying next door to one.Advertisement
Criminal gangs move women around the different premises and use websites, social media and messaging services to organise the use of the brothels.
Operation Aident has seen five properties visited in the city which are suspected of being linked to being used by human trafficking gangs.
Lancashire Police say these are the tell-tale signs you might be next door to a brothel:
– You may notice frequent visitors to the address
– There may be an increase in vehicles visiting or leaving the location
– There may be noise at unsociable hours
– Customers may accidentally knock on your door while trying to locate the address of the brothel
– The occupants of the address may change frequently
Read more: Preston pimp who ran brothel on quiet Fulwood street is jailed
A spokesman for the police said: “We welcome community intelligence to help identify addresses where prostitution may be taking place.
“Not all sex workers will be victims of sexual exploitation however Lancashire Constabulary is committed to ensuring the safety of people operating in this industry.”
Anyone who suspects prostitution is taking place or someone is a victim of modern slavery or human trafficking, they can call police on 101.