An Indian restaurant in Preston city centre has been fined after continuing to operate its kitchen while having a gas leak.Advertisement
East Z East were visited by health and safety inspectors in October 2016 who discovered their gas powered equipment wasn’t being maintained correctly.
A serious leak on the gas hose junction of the hot plate, which was wrapped in tin foil, was found at the Church Street restaurant.
Inspectors from Preston City Council said the Tandoori oven ignition was also broken and found evidence of staff dropping a burning napkin into the oven as an alternative way to light it.
East Z East were unable to show during the hearing at Preston Magistrates Court, where the owners of EastZEast Preston Ltd pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches, that they had any gas safety certificates to show they were regularly maintaining their equipment.
Read more: Indian restaurant in Broughton due for demolition
The sentencing at Chorley Magistrates’ Court on 9 August 2018 saw East Z East fined £25,000 for breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act for failing to maintain a safe tandoori oven.
They were also fined £15,000 for failing to maintain the gas powered hot plate.
Magistrates’ also ordered the restaurant’s owners to pay the city council’s costs of £3,749.50 and a victim surcharge of £170.
Read more: Chinese restaurant fined for health and safety breaches
Deputy leader of the city council and cabinet member for planning and regulation councillor Peter Moss said: “The public is kept safe through the continuous good work of Preston City Council Environmental Health officers with local businesses. Most businesses in Preston are run to a very high standard and so much of our work does not end in prosecution. However we will not hesitate to take action against those who act illegally.”
Senior environmental health officer at the city council Jonathan Cruickshank said: “It is a legal requirement for all businesses to ensure their gas equipment is maintained by a gas safe engineer. This usually involves an annual inspection and businesses will be issued with a certificate. If a business suspects that there is a gas leak from their gas equipment they should isolate the equipment from the gas supply and call a gas safe engineer.
“If a business cannot find or stop a gas leak they should evacuate the premises, turn off the main gas supply (if it is safe to do so) and call the National Grid gas emergency number 0800 111 999.”
Blog Preston has approached East Z East for comment.