Menu

Preston Chinese restaurant fined for health and safety breaches

Posted on - 14th July, 2018 - 12:00pm | Author - | Posted in - Business, Crime, Food & Drink, Preston City Centre, Preston Council, Preston News, Restaurants in Preston, University
Two men were seen using the roof of a van to put up a sign Pic: Preston City Council
Two men were seen using the roof of a van to put up a sign Pic: Preston City Council

Managers of a chinese restaurant near Preston’s university have been fined for health and safety breaches.

Advertisement

New Element, in Corporation Street, were caught with unsafe equipment, unsafely trying to put up signs and a failure to have a health and safety policy.

Preston City Council began investigating the restaurant, which trades as New Element, in February last year after a report of a serious drunk and disorderly incident at the premises.

During a visit to the restaurant a health and safety inspector found they had no policy for health and safety and also found a meat slicer was being used with no guard.

The meat slicer Pic: Preston City Council
The meat slicer Pic: Preston City Council

Three improvement notices were served on the restaurant owners, including company director Mr He.

In July last year two men were witnessed working unsafely on the roof of a van putting up a sign above the premises’ entrance – including the director of the company.

Prosecuting for the council Mr Carrera said there had been a ‘flagrant disregard for the law’ putting the public and employees ‘at risk of harm’.

New Element Restaurant in Corporation Street Pic: Brian Young
New Element Restaurant in Corporation Street Pic: Brian Young

New Element’s management pleaded guilty to all three health and safety offences.

District Judge Chalk fined them £7,000 for failing to guard the meat slicer, £7,000 for failing to protect people working at height and £1,000 for having no health and safety policy.

The city council was awarded the full costs of £1,548 and the company was made to pay a victim surcharge of £170.

Read more: Korean BBQ restaurant comes to Preston

What the council say

Cabinet member for planning and regulation councillor Peter Moss said: “The Magistrate in this case echoed the council’s view that these were serious offences committed with blatant disregard for health and safety legislation.

“We have a duty to ensure all businesses comply with relevant policies and legislation for health and safety. This successful prosecution sends the message that neglecting these essential areas of running a business will not be tolerated in Preston.”

Share
Preston in pictures Feeling like Autumn in PrestonFeeling like Autumn in PrestonDisused platforms, PrestonOn a cold wet miserable June day !!!Classic Morris 'Caravanette'Dusk over Preston DocksCrane reflection at Preston docksEvening skies at Preston Docks View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.