Dylan Crossey death crash driver appears in court

Posted on - 24th August, 2017 - 12:29pm | Author - | Posted in - Crime, Penwortham, Preston News
Dylan Crossey who died after the collision in Chainhouse Lane Pic: Google
Dylan Crossey who died after the collision in Chainhouse Lane Pic: Google

A man has appeared in court charged with causing the death of teenage footballer Dylan Crossey by dangerous driving.


Dylan, 15, was cycling home along Chain House Lane, Whitestake, when he was struck by a BMW 3 Series at around 11pm on Friday October 7 last year.

He was taken to Royal Preston Hospital with serious head injuries, before being transferred to Manchester Children’s Hospital where he died the next day.

The driver of the vehicle, David Harwood, 42, was charged with causing Dylan’s death by dangerous driving, along with two further charges relating to his driving in the aftermath of the collision.

Harwood appeared at Preston Magistrates’ Court during Thursday (24 August) morning to face the charges.

Dressed in a dark grey suit and tie, Harwood, of The Close, New Longton, spoke only to confirm his name and that he understood the proceedings.

He did not enter a plea to the charges as District Judge Currer said the case could only be dealt with at the crown court.

He said: “The offence, as you are well aware, is too serious to be dealt with here.”

Throughout the five minute hearing, members of Dylan’s family sat silently in the public gallery.

His mum wiped away tears as the court heard the allegations set out against Harwood.
Following Dylan’s death, tributes poured in for the All Hallow’s Catholic High School pupil, who played more than 100 games for St Teresa’s Football Club.

His family released a statement, saying: “Dylan was a much loved son and brother who loved nothing more than living life to its fullest.

“He was a gentleman and was growing into a fine young man.

“Dylan was an outstanding footballer and loved to watch his favourite team Preston North End both at home and away.

“Dylan was taken from us suddenly and without warning.

“He will be sadly missed by all his family and friends.”

Harwood was granted unconditional bail and ordered to attend Preston Crown Court on September 26.

Preston in pictures The Station, Preston. 1539Adelphi quarter , preston , 23.06.2022St Walburge's Church, preston 23.06.2022Lilly in full bloomFormer Tithebarn pub and Preston Bus StationHarris Museum and Art GalleryRed telephone boxesRed telephone box on Market Street View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.