A man has appeared in court charged with causing the death of teenage footballer Dylan Crossey by dangerous driving.Advertisement
Dylan, 15, was cycling home along Chain House Lane, Whitestake, when he was struck by a BMW 3 Series at around 11pm on Friday October 7 last year.
He was taken to Royal Preston Hospital with serious head injuries, before being transferred to Manchester Children’s Hospital where he died the next day.
The driver of the vehicle, David Harwood, 42, was charged with causing Dylan’s death by dangerous driving, along with two further charges relating to his driving in the aftermath of the collision.
Harwood appeared at Preston Magistrates’ Court during Thursday (24 August) morning to face the charges.
Dressed in a dark grey suit and tie, Harwood, of The Close, New Longton, spoke only to confirm his name and that he understood the proceedings.
He did not enter a plea to the charges as District Judge Currer said the case could only be dealt with at the crown court.
He said: “The offence, as you are well aware, is too serious to be dealt with here.”
Throughout the five minute hearing, members of Dylan’s family sat silently in the public gallery.
His mum wiped away tears as the court heard the allegations set out against Harwood.
Following Dylan’s death, tributes poured in for the All Hallow’s Catholic High School pupil, who played more than 100 games for St Teresa’s Football Club.
His family released a statement, saying: “Dylan was a much loved son and brother who loved nothing more than living life to its fullest.
“He was a gentleman and was growing into a fine young man.
“Dylan was taken from us suddenly and without warning.
“He will be sadly missed by all his family and friends.”
Harwood was granted unconditional bail and ordered to attend Preston Crown Court on September 26.