Fulwood Barracks engraving. The Main Entrance 1857
Fulwood Barracks in Preston was built upon a part of the site of the old race course over which the ancient Watling-street passed and was considered to be one of the most complete and extensive range of buildings in Lancashire.
The barracks comprises twenty-eight and a half statute acres. Building works were commenced in July, 1842, and the first stone was laid on the 28th of August, 1843, being in completion by 1848. The entire cost was 137,921 pounds, 2 shillings and 10 pence.
A range of substantial buildings, which were to afford suitable accommodation for about eighty married soldiers and their families, were added in 1856-7 to the west side of the parade ground at a cost of 8500 pounds.
Included in the whole works was a large square for infantry, and a second for cavalry exercise, together with an extensive general parade ground in the rear.
The barracks was originally built to accommodate one battalion of infantry,
one squadron of cavalry and a demi-battery of artillery.
In addition to the offices for purely military purposes, there was a small chapel erected over the principal inner gateway, which gave a little architectural character to the building.
For almost 170 years, Fulwood Barracks has served the nation well and has been the place of military pride in Preston, in particular, throughout the two World Wars. Many Prestonians will have had serving relatives based at Fulwood Barracks during both the wars, making this place rather special, especially to those who have suffered the loss of fallen loved ones.
Next time you are in the vicinity of Fulwood barracks, just take a little time to study what a wonderful part of Preston’s heritage this place is and consider what a loss it would be if it were to vanish from sight.
More: Petition calls for Fulwood Barracks decision to be reversed
Do you consider this establishment to be of great importance to Preston? Let us know in the comments below.