A Penwortham family had a lucky escape when their smoke alarm got them out of bed while they conservatory was ablaze.Advertisement
Neighbours have told of how they were awoken by explosions coming from the family home in Bramble Court shortly before 4am on Friday (28 October).
The house, off Kingsfold Drive, has been left ravaged by the fire which spread quickly from the conservatory.
Gavin Seed, 37, who lives on the court said he awoke thinking someone was breaking into cars on his drive.
He said: “I heard this noise and it sounded like shattered glass. I am looking after my mate’s car so I was terrified it was someone pinching it.
“So I ran to the window and I couldn’t believe what I saw. There was smoke everywhere. So I shouted to my wife and legged it down the stairs to get round there.
The family may need to demolish the house as the damage is described as ‘severe’.
Mr Seed, who has lived in Bramble Court for four years, was full of praise for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service.
He said: “When I spoke to the two guys there they were great. They had been in and the flames were just fierce.
“They got the aerial ladder there in the end and that was the only way to put it out.
“Whatever started it was definitely in the conservatory.
“My little lad and I made the firefighters their brews this morning. They were great with him and told him ‘it was the best brew they had ever had’.”
Read more: Pictures show what firefighters faced tackling Penwortham house fire
Other neighbours have told how they brought the family clothes and food, and said they could still hear the smoke alarm going at 11am this morning – seven hours after the fire started.
The fire service said they were still damping down the scene and at this stage there was no confirmation on how the fire started.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “A working smoke alarm is obviously a potential lifesaver. It gives the early warning you need to get out and without that survival is always going to be in the balance, regardless of the speed and efficiency of the firefighters coming to the rescue.”