2016 marks the 10th annual SPAR Lancashire School Games, where over 2,400 pupils from 15 county districts compete to be crowned champion at various sports from tennis to orienteering. This year also sees the introduction of two new categories- tri-golf and duathalon.
The competition, which is part of the £128m school games programme, was designed to give all children the opportunity to participate in competitive sport.
Team Preston, who scooped an impressive five medals in the 2015 tournament, will be represented by sporting stars from the following schools:
• Longsands Community Primary School- high five netball
• Queens Drive Primary School- orienteering
• Broughton High School- girls cricket/boys super eight athletics
• St Pius X Preparatory School- mini tennis
• Moor Park High School- handball
• Corpus Christie Catholic High School- girls rounders
• St. Andrews Church of England Primary School- gymnastics
• St Lawrence Primary School- tag rugby
• Archbishop Temple School- girls super eight athletics
• Sir Tom Finney Community High School- tee ball
Dean Brandwood, who is responsible for arranging the local events, thinks Preston has got a great chance at going for gold this year. “Preston has built up a really strong team. I’m looking forward to cheering all the pupils on as they compete for glory in Blackpool in July.”
The competition will be held on Tuesday 5 July at Stanley Park in Blackpool. It is sponsored by James Hall & Company Ltd, the SPAR distributors for the North of England.