BBQ safety video released after Preston man sets himself on fire

Posted on - 17th June, 2016 - 9:48am | Author - | Posted in - Preston News, Videos


Chiminea fire – Trevor's story from LancashireFRS on Vimeo.

Firefighters have warned Prestonians about attempting to light or relight barbecues using petrol.

Crews from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service were called to an address in Preston on Sunday 12 June.

A man had resorted to using petrol to start a charcoal BBQ and accidentally set himself on fire.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “It’s a very volatile fuel, meaning that on exposure to air it quickly becomes a highly flammable vapour that surrounds the person using it – that’s why petrol stations have notices up saying no smoking.

“The inevitable happened and when the man struck a light the vapour ignited and inflicted severe burns to his hand and arm.”

Preston in pictures 325_006-01150_134-03Ring-Billed Gull at Preston Docks, Lancashire, England - August 2015Cuerden Valley Park, PrestonGarden shotStreetBike ridePreston Odeon View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.