Fourteen buildings in Penwortham look set for special protection by its local authority.Advertisement
The Penwortham Local Plan is being prepared to outline how development in the area should be treated.
Local historians and residents have come up with a list of houses, buildings and objects which should be kept intact.
Designed by Kendal architect George Webster. It has a Jacobean style with a veranda and was built in 1835.
King George V playing fields gate posts
At the entrance to the playing fields these “serve as a reminder of the heritage of the site.”
The Coach House, Hurst Grange Park
Built around 1850 it is all that remains of the buildings of Hurst Grange. The estate was home to a prominent Preston judge and historian, who became Mayor and is credited as being instrumental in the building of Preston Dock.
The Lodge, Hurst Grange Park
Originally intended for coachman at Hurst Grange it became resident for park keepers.
Penwortham Library, Liverpool Road
Built in 1936 in an art deco style, it retains its original lamps.
The Water Tower, Liverpool Road
The late Victorian tower was built by Canon Rawstorne. Attempts to list it in 1970 failed.
Legrow’s, Manor Lane
Originally two cottages and now one. It was owned by Monseir le Gros, thought to be from the weaving lands of France. Dates from 1819.
Fisher’s Row, Cop Lane
One of the most important terraces of cottages, built in the early 19th century for the trade of handloom weaving with lit cellars.
New Acre Cottages, Cop Lane
Dated to 1819 and an important link to the weaving heritage of Penwortham.
Woodlands, Cop Lane
Built in late Victorian and early Edwardian times. In 1936 the owner Miss Cragg was murdered by an intruder.
The Black Bull Inn, Pope Lane
The pub appears in the 1840 Tithe map.
Kings Fold Farm, Pope Lane
Maps and records show the farm dated back to the 15th century, possibly earlier.
The Methodist Chapel, Leyland Road
Preston and the surrounding area was a key player in the early Methodist movement. The small chapel was a garage and now stands empty.
Rosefold and Addison’s Yard
Rosefold was originally a farmhouse and Addison’s Yard a tannery, interesting examples of small scale industrial activity.
The Penwortham Plan continues to outline how large-scale development could happen in the area, and where it should be concentrated. Below is the area defined as Penwortham by the plan.
It also calls for a policy to implement 10 per cent of each new development provide housing for retired people.
Councillors also want to see 60 per cent of Middleforth’s shopping street be given over to retail uses.
The full plan can be found on the Town Council website.
Anyone wishing to leave comments should download a response form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm on Friday 16 October.
Do you live in Penwortham? What do you think of the list of buildings? How do you see the area developing? Let us know in the comments below