Architects have been invited to submit their proposals for Preston Markets redevelopment once more.Advertisement
The multi-million pound scheme did already have an architects – IBI Taylor Young – in place but Preston City Council has chosen to re-tender for the project.
Market traders are being consulted further on the plans, which would see the current Indoor Market, car park and Lancastria House all demolished and replaced with a cinema and restaurant complex.
In June artist impressions were released of how the new covered market, with traders moved under its roof, could look.
But the city council has decided it may spend more on the project, triggering a re-tender process for the architects.
IBI Taylor Young were appointed last year in a deal worth more than £150,000. It is not known whether the firm will re-tender.
Restoration work investigations on the Fish Market and its canopy began last month and at the time city council leader councillor Peter Rankin said they were looking again at the whole plan.
He said: “This commitment to investing more into the markets does however present us with different challenges. For example, we now have to look again at the procurement of professional services supporting the project, such as architects, but it’s a nice challenge to have.”
Town Hall sources say a paper outlining additional spending on the Markets is due to come to the city council cabinet and full council in coming weeks.
The closing date for new tenders for the architecture of the new Markets plan is Tuesday 1 September.
What do you think about the re-tendering of the Markets plan? Let us know in the comments below