With the announcement of the proposed Adelphi Square which would sweep away the Adelphi roundabout and nearby buildings, we thought it would be interesting to see the past developments of this area over the last century.
In the above aerial photo from the late 1940’s you can see that although the layout of the area was quite similar to what it is now, there were many more buildings in existence and an obvious absence of the roundabout we all know and recognise today. Fylde Street was a much narrower affair then and the only thoroughfare from the junction of Corporation Street and Fylde Road across to the junction of Adelphi Street, Walker Street and Friargate.
The above O.S. map from 1892 illustrates well the layout of the Adelphi area at that time. Much of the property on the northwestern and southeastern sides of Fylde Street were demolished to make way for a new roundabout system which was constructed in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s. The photo immediately below shows the construction of the roundabout in a view from the junction of Moor Lane and Walker Street facing west towards Friargate on the left.
Prior to the construction of the new roundabout and long before the emergence of UCLan there existed the forerunner to the University which was the Harris Technical College, this being the building in the background of the above photo just to the right of the street lamp in the centre of the image. The Harris Technical College extended from this point, along Corporation Street and up to Marsh Lane; much as those properties do today which are under the UCLan owenership. Notice that the buildings of the present Foster building have not yet been constructed at this time; however they would be within a few years from when this image was captured; at this time, Kendal Street extended down to the old Lancaster Canal which ran across the lower end and on to the wharf in Corporation Street.
The photo above shows the the location of Corporation Street where the Harris College new extensions will be constructed which would eventually become the site of the UCLan Foster Building. At the time of capture of this photo there is a turreted building on the left at the corner of Kendal Street and Corporation Street with the Fylde Tavern in the centre followed by Edward Neild Antiques and finally at the junction of Fylde Road and Maudland Road there is the quite unusual building which was the Star Cinema and was built in the American ’round style’; by 1960 it had closed for business.
Over a century this area has changed much in the way of the existant buildings and types of transport which have travelled along the nearby roads. The next few images are of photos captured at the various times throughout this area’s history. From humble homes, schools and businesses, it has evolved into what we see today and now we can probably expect the inception of a new era and further lease of life for this interesting and historic part of Preston.
The photo immediately above shows the completed Casper House and the construction of Robin House. Tony Worrall tells us that Casper House and Robin House were named after the grandchildren of John Gorna who developed the site for Hawlodge Investments Ltd. These UCLan buildings would be swept away in the proposed Adelphi Square project.
Many thanks go out to the Preston Digital Archive and associated contributors for use of their images in this article.
Do you recall any of the places in this article? Let us know in the comments below.