Constructors Walter Carefoot & Son undertook extensive work on the former St Wilfrid’s Primary School on Fox Street in the city.
The building has become a resource centre after Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation acquired the lease.
The building has been re-modeled to suit the new use. Work included stripping out existing partitions and erecting new partitions to form consulting rooms, offices and training facilities.
There is a small cafe for staff and visitors and improved facilities for the disabled.
As the building is Grade 2 listed all original features have been protected and left in place. This includes old folding partitions inside, which have been saved and boxed off.
The vehicle entry gates will be re-located to avoid traffic jams on Fox Street, with the car park at the rear of the building
The improvements took around 12 weeks and have recently been completed.
While undergoing refurbishment, the site was registered by Carefoot under the Considerate Constructors Scheme, developed to minimise the disturbance to neighbours and passers by.
The historic building opened in 1814 and was the first public building in the England to be lit by gas in 1816.
The building was once the home of community radio station Preston FM and community arts group Prescap