Photos of things and places lost in Preston.
In my last picture gallery featuring relics of Preston I focused mainly on things recently lost. The images certainly stirred up a few lost memories as well. In this new mini-collection we talk about a mixture of the recently lost plus things that disappeared a long time ago, some leaving tantalising reminders of their presence .
First up, If you are ever cycling or walking the Guild Wheel next to the Ribble near the Sea Cadets hut you may notice the remains of a decaying wooden jetty reaching down into the river.
Preston had extensive shipbuilding and breakers yards along the banks of the Ribble. William Allsup and Sons Ltd. Shipbuilders, Engineers and Ironfounders of the Caledonian Works had their shipyard here, established around 1834. Many ships were constructed on the site. The works stretched up towards Broadway but the new Penwortham Bridge cut the shipyard in half. All that industry is long gone, with only rotten remains of the forgotten wooden pier.
Preston was once famous for having as many public houses as days in the year, if not more. These days Preston pubs are closing it seems on a weekly basis. The County Arms Hotel that once stood at 101 Deepdale Road not only closed (after a brief stint as the New County Arms) but demolished. The pub was famous as a drinking hole for visitors to the local prison. Visiting Judges stayed and even Charles Dickens is said to have drunk a pint here. Now just a big empty space.
With the building of Ringway a swathe of housing was demolished along the south side of Marsh Lane leaving Nutter Road as the last row of houses next to the ever expanding Lancashire County Council car park. For some reason Nutter Road residents were turfed out of their properties and the row of buildings became a real eyesore as the boarded up row of perfectly good homes stood vacant for many years. A magnet for vandals. Again it is now a large empty space waiting for redevelopment. Nutter Road was actually located next to Birk Street (also long gone).
The area where old Tulketh Hall stood was the seat of Marmaduke de Tulketh, after who the Tulketh area of Preston was named. It is said that there may have been a Roman settlement on the site. What is known is that a monastery existed here founded by monks from Savigny, in France between 1124 and 1127. They later relocated to the famous Abbey at Furness. The Hesketh family took over the building in the 17th century. Roger Hesketh lived here, who at times was Preston Mayor and High Sheriff of Lancashire. Tulketh Hall had become a school in 1847, The hall was demolished in 1959. The site is now occupied by Star Youth Club and the Mercer James Group at the Tulketh Hall Works. After over 1000 years of history at this spot of a few stones remain that form part of this stone staircase.
A very old dartboard thrown into a skip as the Doctor Syntax pub on Fylde Road closes. Once one of the oldest pubs in Preston the strange name was taken from a legendary racehorse famous for exploits on Moor park horse racing track in the Preston Gold Cup (winning 20 Gold Cups in total). The public house closed a couple of years ago and is now Tang Chinese Restaurant, according to Tripadvisor, the best eating place in Preston. A nearby bus stop still carries the Dr Syntax name.
In the grounds of St Stephen’s C of E Primary School, on South Meadow Lane in Preston, can be found the relics below. We assume they are from a school that stood on the same spot. Does anyone know more about the stones or the meaning of the inscription?
Offices for the Preston Guardian and Lancashire Evening Post newspapers once stood on Fishergate in the centre of town. Also home of the Farmers Guardian. The original Lancashire Daily Post became The Lancashire Evening Post in 1949. The LEP left Fishergate in 1989 to relocate at Olivers Place in Fulwood. The buildings shown here have been demolished and replaced with retail developments. The man in the picture sold the LEP on Fishergate for many years.
An ornate police blue lamp that used to hang from the front of the old Police Headquarters on Lawson Street. The building has since been converted to flats. The only blue lamp with a lamb on top. Blue lamps used to be traditionally hung outside British police stations. This one relocated to a new purpose built station at Lancaster Road North.
One of the few remaining relics of Preston’s historic but short lived docklands. This stone carrying the name of the warehouse on which it was placed can be found outside the Jaguar showrooms at Riversway. Opened in 1845, Victoria warehouse was demolished in 1983 to make way for the new Penwortham bridge. The old building, which stored all manner of ship brought goods, stood very close to the course of the old River before the diversion was cut in 1884.
Hope you find this interesting and the article generates some comment. If have any information on any of the subjects in the photos let us know or if you have any of your own Preston photos add them to the Preston Group on Flickr