Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks, who is at the centre of the phone hacking scandal has pulled out of attending a prize-giving ceremony at Fulwood Academy this Wednesday.
Brooks was due to hand out prizes at the school, as part of her role on the board of governors.
However, Fulwood Academy said Brooks worried that the media attention in her visit might overshadow the achievements of pupils who are due to be awarded prizes.
A statement from David Goldie, chairman of governors, said: “Rebekah felt that the media interest in her attendance might overshadow and spoil this special evening for the prize-winning students of the Academy.”
Fulwood Academy is sponsored by Carphone Warehouse boss Charles Dunstone, a friend of Brooks’.
As reported last week, Fulwood Academy supported Brooks amidst the allegations.
The 43-year-old has come under huge public pressure to resign after recent allegations.
It is alleged that private investigators working for the News of the World hacked into the phone voicemails of murder victims (including Milly Dowler), the families of soldiers, and terrorism victims while she was editor, with fresh allegations emerging concerning ex Prime Minister Gordon Brown.