A piece of Preston’s history about one of its most famous sons has been placed in safe keeping.Advertisement
Joseph Livesey – who founded the Temperance movement from the city – had a number of plaques made to him.
George Banks Jewellers in Lune Street presented the plaque, which was originally located on the wall of Mather Brothers Printers, to the University of Central Lancashire.
Read more: Dick, Kerr Ladies memorial unveiled at UCLan
The plaque is similar to one that was on Livesey’s house in Church Street, which was demolished in the 1980s, and at his birthplace in Victoria Road in Walton-le-Dale.
A sculptor William Norris Simm is understood to have made the plaques in the 1930s for the Seven Men of Preston centenary in 1932.
The plaque has been placed in the University of Central Lancashire’s Special Collection.
Read more: University asks for memories as it marks 190 years of being in the city
Director of learning and information services James Crooks said: “Here at the University we are passionate about the history of Preston and the University. As well as being such a prominent temperance campaigner, Joseph Livesey was instrumental in the establishment of the Harris Institute for the Diffusion of Knowledge in 1828, which of course many years later became the University of Central Lancashire.
“We are therefore delighted to receive this commemorative plaque, and are extremely grateful to John Banks and Andrew and Simon Mather for donating it to the University. This is a fantastic way to mark the beginning of the University’s 190th anniversary celebrations, and the plaque is a very welcome addition to the University Library’s special collections.”
If anyone wants to view the plaque they can arrange an appointment by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org