A Preston family have told of how their world has been torn apart following an attack on their son.Advertisement
Ben Pennington, 29, was placed in an induced coma after being hit during an incident at a nightclub in Darwen.
A year on and Lancashire Police are still appealing for witnesses to the attack at the Level One nightclub in Market Street on October 15 last year.
His father Mark Pennington said his son had made an ‘amazing recovery’ but it had taken its toll on his family.
He said: “I’d first of all like to thank everyone for sharing the police appeals and trying to help bring whoever did this to Ben to justice.
“This attack has had a massive effect on the family and also on our businesses.
“Ben’s injuries meant he needed to have his forehead removed and replaced with a titanium plate.”
Mark has passed a number of pictures to Blog Preston taken four weeks after the attack showing Ben’s recovery. He still requires regular care.
Mark said: “It’s hard to believe that Ben is back to work. He went back in July this year at Worcester Bosch where he is a new build sales manager.
“He’s had to come and live back at home with us because of the care he needs.”
The Pennington’s, who live in Walton-le-Dale, operate a number of shops and an internet-based food preparation business.
Mark said: “My wife, Nikki, was already off work with stress when this happened and is still off a year later.
“It took me away from our businesses and we’re struggling to get everything back on track.
“Before the attack then Ben was wroking with a web designer to get a new website live for us. Everything was on Ben’s laptop and phone so all of that work just stopped. We were five months behind getting that live.”
Lancashire Police reissued their appeal a year on from the attack, as they say more witnesses are out there.
Detective Inspector Zoe Russo, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “Several hundred people were inside the club at the time of the offence and while I am thankful for the witnesses who have come forward so far, we are still appealing for more information.
“A man has been left with life-changing injuries as a result of this attack. He requires regular care and will do so for some time.
“I am appealing to the conscience of those people who saw what happened to come forward and assist with our enquiries. If you have any information which will assist with our investigation, please contact us. This will be treated in the strictest confidence.
“This remains an active investigation. I remain confident we can find the victim’s attacker and the assistance of the public is vital in helping us do so.”
Read more: Motorcyclist in hospital after suffering spinal injuries in crash
Mark added: “Someone will know exactly what’s happened. It’s time they came forward and justice was done. This has changed our family’s lives and it’s important someone is held accountable.”
Police arrested a 27-year-old man from Darwen in connection with the incident. He has been released under investigation pending further enquiries.
Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting log reference LC-20161015-0183. Alternatively Crimestoppers can be called on 0800 555 111.