A homeowner has avoided death after falling asleep with a pan left on the hob.Advertisement
The incident occurred in Kingsfold Drive, in Penwortham, at 7.39pm yesterday (June 27).
Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service attended the scene after the smoke alarm went off and alerted those in the building of the danger.
The occupier of the property was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and an ambulance was called.
Patrick Barlow, Penwortham crew manager for Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service, said: “A pan was left on the hob and the owner had fallen asleep.
“The contents of the pan were destroyed and smoke logging to the flat on the first floor occurred.
“The smoke alarm alerted other occupants of the building and the fire service was alerted who then dealt with the incident.
“On arrival the occupier was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and an ambulance was called.
More: Fire service called to series of loud bangs in city centre
“Had the alarm not been raised this incident may well have caused serious injury or death to the occupier of the flat.
“Smoke alarms not only save lives but can also minimise substantial damage to your home.
“Every home should have at least one. Remember to regularly test your smoke alarm at least once a week.”