Lancashire Constabulary’s knife surrender that took place last month resulted in 140 knives being handed in.
The surrender was part of a national initiative to tackle knife crime and remove weapons from Lancashire’s streets, taking place over a fortnight from Monday 17 – 31 October.
In total, 30 knives were handed in across Preston, Chorley, South Ribble and Skelmersdale.
41 weapons were handed in across Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde and North Lancashire with a further 69 knives being handed in in East Lancashire.
Some of the weapons given up included penknives, machetes, swords, axes, zombie knives, kitchen knives and large blades.
Officers will now dispose of all of the items safely.
Read more: Woman in critical condition after collision with tree
Chief Inspector Mark Baines said: “We’ve been delighted with the response from our communities throughout the surrender, and it’s really pleasing to see all of the items passed to us are now in safe hands and can’t cause harm to anyone.
“I would still like to appeal to youngsters that carrying a knife doesn’t offer them protection, and not only is being in possession of a knife in a public place a criminal offence, young people are also more likely to be stabbed and seriously injured with their own weapon.
“We don’t want this to happen to anyone in Lancashire, and you can still hand in a weapon at our front counters to dispose of it safely.”
Young people are encouraged to log onto the website trusted2know.co.uk to discover more about knife crime and the dangers it poses for Lancashire’s streets.
Lancashire Police and Crime Commisioner Clive Grunshaw said: “Yet again we have had an excellent response from the people of Lancashire and our streets are safer as a result.
“I have no doubt lives will have been saved as a result of this knife surrender – but it is not too late to hand knives over to the police, where they cannot be used to inflict injury or worse.”
What do you think about the knife surrender? Let us know in the comments below