Menu

Ashtray warning after fire at Penwortham retirement home

Posted on - 26th November, 2016 - 8:08pm | Author - | Posted in - News, Penwortham
Penwortham fire crew were called to one of the flats at Churchbrook House Pic: Google

Penwortham fire crew were called to one of the flats at Churchbrook House Pic: Google

Pensioners had to be taken to safety due to a fire in a retirement home.

Advertisement

Churchbrook House in Penwortham was evacuated after an ashtray had been emptied into a bin.

Paper in the bin caught fire at 6.25pm on Saturday (26 November).

A fire crews from Penwortham attended the home in Marshall’s Brow. The fire was already put out when they arrived.

Smoke was cleared from the flat for around 20 minutes on Saturday night.

Dave Griffiths from Penwortham Fire Station said: “Luckily the resident was alerted to the fire by the activation of the automatic smoke alarm. He extinguished the fire using water.

“This shows the importance of having a working smoke alarm. Also always ensure the contents of ashtrays are fully extinguished before disposing of the contents. Ideally put a little water in the ashtray before disposing of it.”

Share
Preston in pictures Avenham ParkIMG_2435IMG_2405IMG_2423IMG_2402IMG_2413IMG_2459IMG_2464 View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.