A mini-supermarket has been fined after eight dead mice were found scattered across the shop.Advertisement
One Stop Stores Limited was visited by environmental health officers who found the mice on glue boards and snap traps.
Droppings from the mice were also present on the store’s floor and shelving, while crisp packets had been nibbled open and the contents eaten.
The Ribbleton Avenue shop was fined £80,000 plus costs of £11,776.60 for breaching food hygiene rules.
Head of environmental health at Preston City Council Craig Sharp said: “Every shop, large or small has to deal with the problem of mice. Responsible traders plan for it and deal with a problem quickly and effectively if it arises.
“Whilst the company acted swiftly to deal with the problem following the visit on 1 December, it was subsequently discovered that the store had had problems with mice, intermittently, since at least 2013.
“Mice carry a range of bacteria and viruses and the risk to pregnant women and immuno suppressed individuals in particular, has potentially serious consequences. I hope that this case will serve as a warning to other food businesses that robust procedures need to be in place and actively monitored to ensure the public are protected.”
The inspection took place on Monday 1 December 2014, investigations into the shop had been ongoing since October 2013.
One Stop pleaded guilty at Preston Magistrates’ Court in 27 January 2016 to two offences – adequate procedures were not in place to control pests and food was placed on the market that was unsafe.
Did you ever shop in this store? What do you think? Let us know in the comments below