A driver and his wife had a lucky escape in Garstang Road on Saturday morning when their car burst into flames.Advertisement
Kevin Steele, 32, was on his way to try and find a new car when his Citroen C3 ignited.
He said: “We were just coming down towards the Unicorn pub and the North Road junction when we could smell smoke.
“Then flames started coming from the bonnet and I just pulled the handbrake and we got straight out.
“There was a police van back further up the road so someone ran up there and they called the fire service.”
Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service sent one fire engine from Preston Fire Station.
The incident took place around 8.45am and Mr Steele and his wife Sarah were offered a cup of tea by passers-by while they waited to be collected.
Mr Steele said he had the car for two years and kept it well serviced.
Firefighters told him the fire was caused by his petrol pipe snapping and interfering with the engine.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “There was one car on the road well alight.
“One fire engine from Preston attended and used one breathing apparatus team and one hose reel to extinguish the fire.”