Half of Preston Bus Station remains out of action a month after strong winds caused damage to the grade II listed building.Advertisement
Storm Desmond swirled in early December and shattered a number of windows on the western side of the bus terminal.
Since then Lancashire County Council has closed off access for pedestrians and ordered bus companies to just use the eastern stands to run from.
At the time Phil Barrett, director of community services at the county council, said: “Following the damage caused by the very high winds last weekend we have carried out a detailed survey and found that some work is needed to replace parts of the windows on the eastern side of the station.
“The western side, where panes were blown out, will need more extensive work and this side of the station will remain closed into the New Year.”
It is a taste of the future of the building as plans for the Bus Station include only using the eastern side to run buses from once the Preston Youth Zone is built.
A spokesman for Lancashire County Council said: “Work on the windows is scheduled to start on Monday 11 January and should be finished by the start of February.”
On Monday 11 January a county council spokesman said the work had been put back a week to begin on Monday 18 January. He said the work would still be finished by the early February time given.
A planning application is due this year for the multi-million pound Youth Zone.
Repair work on the Bus Station is due to take place from April onwards.
Do you use the Bus Station? Has the closure affected you? Let us know in the comments below