A stone bobbin which had been erected in 2008 at the junction of Avenham Road and Avenham Lane and was part of a commemorative memorial to the Stephen Simpson Gold Thread Works of Preston, has returned following a four year absence. The bobbin was removed and taken away to the council depot on St Paul’s Road, Deepdale to be repaired after it had been badly damaged by a car in 2011. Since then it has not been seen by the public in its usual place until now.Advertisement
The Simpson’s Gold thread Works, founded in 1839 by Stephen Simpson J.P. was of major importance to the history and heritage of the city. The company produced gold thread and embroidery for military and commercial uniforms. Work included thread that decorated the uniforms of the Titanic staff. During the war the firm undertook a top secret commission to produce German military badges and insignia for use by English spies operating in Germany.
Originally, both sides of Avenham Road were occupied by the Gold Thread Works but in 2009 the east side was swept away completely to make way for new apartments.
Linda Barton, formerly of the Preston Historical Society said, “The East Works, in Avenham Road of Stephen Simpson Gold Thread Works upper floor was the hand embroidery room, the design department and the packing department. Ground level was the engineers workshop and the weaving sheds. Despite the fact that this was a grade 2 listed building, it was pulled down and badly designed city apartments built in its place”.
Opposite to this building was the West Works of the firm which has been converted into city apartments and is illustrated in the two above images.
Have you seen the Needle and Thread newly replaced bobbin? Let us know in the comments below.