A Preston fireworks display has been cancelled due to safety fears.Advertisement
The annual Cottam community bonfire due to go ahead on Saturday 1 November has been stopped.
Organisers at the Cottam Community Centre say it has been stopped due to “circumstances beyond our control.”
In a message on their Facebook page, the Community Centre team said: “The reason is to do with the landowners & insurance.
“A lot of time goes into planning and organising this event by a small team of volunteers, who are not legally trained. Everyone involved is very upset that we can’t go ahead and it didn’t help that the fence that surrounds the area was taken away, which held up the paperwork.
“If you would like to help out for next year, please feel free to get in touch.”
The news has been met with sadness by Cottam residents.
Rachel Simmons wrote: “Such a shame we always look forward to this.”
Liz Garmston said: “Gutted so. Was so looking for to it. It’s an annual outing for our family.”
Mark Buttle who is involved in organising the event said: “Unfortunately we were all set to go even despite the hiccup with the fence. We are always well supported by volunteers on the day but there is a whole level of paperwork , licences and insurance that has to be in place to allow us to have a safe event.
“The event is a community event not run by any single organisation but only a recogised group can be insured. In the past both the Church and the Scouts have filled this role.
“Really gutted as I was eyeing up some really nice new fireworks this year.”
You can see a full list of bonfires and firework displays in Preston and the surrounding area in our Bonfire Night 2014 map and info list.
Did you attend the display last year and previous years? What do you make of the display being cancelled? Let us know in the comments below