Menu

Food hygiene education lessons offered to troubled takeaways

Posted on - 13th January, 2014 - 8:58pm | Author - | Posted in - Business, Food & Drink, News, Restaurants, Takeaways
Takeaways are encouraged to display their star rating

Takeaways are encouraged to display their star rating

Takeaways, restaurants and a school canteen are among the establishments being offered food hygiene lessons by the city council.

Advertisement

The environmental health team have written to all premises rated two or less in the National Food Hygiene ratings.

This is a total of 84 establishments in the Preston area.

Four premises in the city currently have a zero rating out of five.

Manzils on Adelphi Street, a popular haunt for students returning from a night out and grabbing a kebab is currently rated as zero.

As are Milanos on Corporation Street, Barneys Piano Bar and the Spar on Holme Slack Lane.

Simon Neighbour, Environmental Health manager from Preston City Council said “We want every establishment in Preston to be of a good standard and therefore we feel it is right to offer training to the establishments which are genuinely struggling.

“We have around 1,100 catering establishments of which nearly half have the highest achievable rating of 5, and over 1,000 have a rating of 3 or above, indicating broad compliance or better.

“After the coaching, establishments can apply to be re-assessed and we expect an improvement to at least a rating of 3.

“Over 93% of food businesses are now broadly complaint or better, and their hard work is recognised and appreciated. We are now targeting the remaining 7%.

“Preston can be known for its food establishments that meet a good standard and in turn it will bring people to the city.”

You can check the hygiene rating of restaurants or takeaways you are visiting on the Food Ratings website.

Share
Preston in pictures Lancashire Encounter Procession of Light - 15Lancashire Encounter Procession of Light - 19Lancashire Encounter Procession of Light - 25272/366 - Approved UsedLancashire Encounter & Preston PrideLancashire Encounter & Preston PrideLancashire Encounter & Preston PrideLancashire Encounter & Preston Pride View more Advertisement Subscribe to the newsletter

Sign up below to receive Blog Preston's weekly newsletter. It wings its way into inboxes every Sunday rounding up our best content from the last week and a look ahead to what's happening.

Advertisement News by location

Find news by location, select an area of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.

Advertisement Categories

Find news by category, select an category of your choice to be kept up to date with the latest goings on.