The former TSB Bank on Church Street could be re-opening as a Wetherspoons.Advertisement
Built in 1905 the bank has been closed since late 2004 and is listed.
Wetherspoons, one of the largest pub chains operating over 800 bars across the UK, says it “makes a specilality of bringing historic and unusual buildings back into economic use.”
A major refurbishment of the building, on Church Street, will be needed before it can be changed.
Plans submitted to Preston City Council say changes include:
– changes to internal layout, some demolition of existing walls and partitions
– construction of new bar and associated storage
– enhancement, repair, redocration of original banking hall ceiling and other original features
– work to bring back into use as function rooms the two boardrooms on first floor level
– adding a smoking shelter and beer garden at the back of the building
Lancashire Police will be consulted on the application as Church Street is one of Preston’s most lively streets on weekend evenings.
J D Wetherspoons already operates one pub in Preston, The Greyfriar sits on the corner of Friargate and The Ringway.
The full plans can be viewed on the council website.
Anyone wishing to comment on the plans can do so on the council website or by emailing [email protected] quoting reference number 06/2013/0596 by Sunday 22 September.
What do you think about the plans? Do you want to see another Wetherspoons in Preston? Let us know in the comments below