A parade to save Preston’s Bus Station is being organised.
Campaigners plan to march through the centre of the city to voice their opposition to the current proposals for demolition.
John Wilson, who leads the Save The Bus Station Campaign, has held discussions with Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council about applying for road closures or whether an alternative pedestrian route could be used,
Mr Wilson said the proposed parade would take place during lunchtime on Saturday 26 October.
He unveiled a banner with the slogan ‘Heritage Not Demolition’, made by artist Ed Hall, outside the Bus Station earlier this week.
He said: “We are really keen to get the people of Preston to back the campaign. Many people have written to the Evening Post in support of saving the station and we want these people to come down on the day.
“It will be a celebration of the bus station. We’re looking to get brass bands, boys brigades, scout groups, guides, all local groups involved.”
The future of the iconic Bus Station still hangs in the balance as the city awaits a listing decision by culture minister Ed Vaizey.
English Heritage have applied to list the building – for the third time.
The current proposal, supported by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council, is to demolish the existing building and build a smaller bus station on the site.
It followed a vote earlier in the year to reject a bid from a local business consortium, led by Simon Rigby, who wanted to buy the building.
What do you think of the parade idea? Will you join it? Let us know in the comments below
Image credit to Bernie Blackburn