Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city 2,344 views
- In pictures: Preston as it was in 1985 1,821 views
- Fishergate roadworks: Parking crackdown to commence as main shopping street works end 1,030 views
- Tapas restaurant plan submitted for Preston Guild Hall arcade 546 views
- Preston taxis blockade Fishergate in parking ticket row 478 views
- Police to take no action over homophobic leaflets put through doors after Preston Pride event13 comments
- Goosnargh country manor plan for multi-millionaire Preston family is rejected9 comments
- All go for changes to Preston Guild Hall entranceway and new Italian restaurant1 comments
- Foxton Centre scoops nearly £300,000 in lottery funding for cafe project1 comments
- Watch as man skinny dips in the River Ribble2 comments