Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Shanice Romanienko missing: Police growing concerned for Preston teenager 4,549 views
- In pictures: Preston as it was in 1985 2,159 views
- Wanted sex offender Leanne Gilder could be in Preston 1,695 views
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city 621 views
- Come Dine With Me looking for Preston dinner party stars 441 views
- Fishergate Gateway development officially opens following completion8 comments
- Deepdale tramline and station proposal set for rejection4 comments
- Win: Tickets to the first Frog and Bucket night at Preston Guild Hall4 comments
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city4 comments
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion4 comments