Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Leyland Road water leak hits homes in Penwortham and southern Preston 3,172 views
- Mokai nightclub remains open as owner joins call for Church Street facelift 421 views
- Win the chance to be at the Turtle Bay launch party in Preston 397 views
- Olive Tree Brasserie opens to bring a taste of the Mediterranean to Preston city centre 313 views
- Fire crews put out blaze at Tickled Trout Hotel 269 views
- Preston Market plans: Architects to be confirmed for next step in Indoor Market demolition7 comments
- Opinion: Why art-deco beauty Lancastria House needs to be saved from Preston Markets plan5 comments
- Watch: Replay back #AskRankin our debate with Preston City Council leader Peter Rankin4 comments
- Bonfire Night 2014: Firework displays in and around Preston3 comments
- Deepdale tramline: Councillors defer decision as Preston tramline moves small step closer3 comments