Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Garstang Road collision: Motorcyclist in hospital as police appeal for information 425 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures 197 views
- Preston independent businesses competition: Vote for which city centre business should win 141 views
- Euston Street and Jubilee parks receive major funding boost 131 views
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved 127 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures13 comments
- Fracking near Preston: Further delay to decision on Cuadrilla plans9 comments
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved6 comments
- The Preston Historical Society take on the role of Blue Plaque scheme2 comments
- Watch: Action Records documentary charting its place at the heart of Preston music scene1 comments