Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Preston carpeted with gigantic hail stones 1,649 views
- Penwortham Bypass: New route for link road in south of Preston due to be agreed 1,001 views
- Former Preston eminent docotor’s home on Winckley Square revealed in pictures 859 views
- CCTV released in hunt for Plungington bottom-grabber 645 views
- Sudden death in Ashton-on-Ribble no longer being investigated 484 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 3)19 comments
- Fishergate roadworks: Trees to be cut down as work continues11 comments
- Opinion: Why council tax HAS to rise in Preston…9 comments
- Welcome to Adelphi Square: University of Central Lancashire unveils giant new redevelopment plan21 comments
- Penwortham Bypass: New route for link road in south of Preston due to be agreed4 comments