Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Police look for man after he exposed himself to children on disused Ribbleton railway line 246 views
- Preston singer-songwriter Abby Scott releases single on new platform Emergeination 150 views
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am 103 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston 98 views
- Blackout Film Project making good progress on finishing the feature script 68 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston4 comments
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am5 comments
- Fishergate roadworks: Parking crackdown to commence as main shopping street works end8 comments
- Ashton resident appeals for help to make sure Christmas card makes it to right address2 comments
- A nostalgic journey around the former Horrocks Yard Works in Preston3 comments