Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- Watch: AJ’s Dream flashmob takes over Friargate and Flag Market 2,337 views
- Joshua Bolton and Chloe Womack missing: Two Preston teenagers not seen since Wednesday 1,952 views
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land 1,591 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7) 1,385 views
- Milda Okunyte RIP: Friends gather to celebrate artistic creativity of Lithuanian student who died on Tuesday 1,046 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7)23 comments
- Preston has topped the list as Britain’s unhealthiest high street7 comments
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land6 comments
- First Look: New coffee and ice cream bar on Winckley Street7 comments
- Preston city centre businesses hit back at unhealthiest high street report5 comments