Preston in the Picture: A Guild Napkin
When I went looking for some Preston Guild memorabilia to photograph I didn’t really expect to find a paper napkin from 1902. These napkins were apparently souvenirs from the Bull and Royal Hotel in the centre of Preston and I can’t believe there’s too many of these still in existence today.
This napkin lists the Preston Guild Programme for the week from September 1st till September 6th and it includes some charming events. Who could resist the ‘Latin Orations’ at the Grammar School for example or a performance of the wonderfully titled ‘Hiawatha’s Wedding Feast’. There was also a few things that wouldn’t be out of place in this year’s Guild including Trades processions, a firework display and on the final day of the week, a torchlight procession.
It’s also interesting to note that The Royal Lancashire Agricultural Show took place on Moor Park.
Photo: Nikon D700 50mm lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 27th, May 2012
Most Read posts
- A59 accident: Driver in serious condition in hospital after smash 661 views
- Police hunt two men who raided flat above Preston takeaway 459 views
- Preston supermarkets Christmas 2014 opening hours 350 views
- Appeal to find missing Fulwood cat Tilly 292 views
- Preston City Council cutbacks: City hit with one of biggest decreases in government funding 232 views
- Leyland Road water leak hits homes in Penwortham and southern Preston5 comments
- Missing Ribbleton brother and sister Marcus and Pareece Bottomley FOUND safe and well4 comments
- Alive After Five Awards finalists announced as 32,000 votes cast3 comments
- Preston Bus Station: Brake applied to £23 million plan as Conservatives make call-in request5 comments
- Water supply restored to Penwortham and southern Preston after NINE hours2 comments