Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- General Election 2015: UKIP announce Penwortham businessman James Barker as their candidate for Preston 547 views
- Former Preston eminent docotor’s home on Winckley Square revealed in pictures 484 views
- Sudden death in Ashton-on-Ribble no longer being investigated 270 views
- Lostock Hall man retires after almost half a century at Preston firm 235 views
- Fishergate roadworks: Tree stumps left lining the street as second phase work continues 98 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 3)19 comments
- General Election 2015: UKIP announce Penwortham businessman James Barker as their candidate for Preston10 comments
- Penwortham Bypass: New route for link road in south of Preston due to be agreed4 comments
- The Hunters pub due to open during Spring in Lostock Hall5 comments
- Preston ‘on the right road’ with Fishergate’s new look12 comments