Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- Gang armed with baseball bats and machetes attack cash van at Ribbleton newsagents 1,502 views
- Man found dead near Lane Ends Post Office 1,017 views
- New Fulwood supermarket plan could go ahead despite threat to derail Ingol redevelopment 511 views
- Preston City Centre Plan: Council strategy aims to tackle Preston’s empty shops problem 495 views
- Sparrow hawk feasts on pigeon infront of startled Friargate shoppers 375 views
- Fishergate Gateway development officially opens following completion8 comments
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city6 comments
- Win: Tickets to the first Frog and Bucket night at Preston Guild Hall4 comments
- Deepdale tramline and station proposal set for rejection4 comments
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion4 comments