Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city 1,160 views
- In pictures: Preston as it was in 1985 1,035 views
- Fishergate roadworks: Parking crackdown to commence as main shopping street works end 567 views
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion 543 views
- Northern Preston gridlocked and Grimsargh main road flooded 468 views
- Police to take no action over homophobic leaflets put through doors after Preston Pride event13 comments
- Goosnargh country manor plan for multi-millionaire Preston family is rejected9 comments
- All go for changes to Preston Guild Hall entranceway and new Italian restaurant1 comments
- Foxton Centre scoops nearly £300,000 in lottery funding for cafe project1 comments
- Watch as man skinny dips in the River Ribble2 comments