Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- Avenham Park drugs gang who “blighted” the city jailed for total of 82 years 869 views
- Garstang Road collision: Motorcyclist in hospital as police appeal for information 494 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures 216 views
- Preston independent businesses competition: Vote for which city centre business should win 158 views
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved 139 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures13 comments
- Fracking near Preston: Further delay to decision on Cuadrilla plans9 comments
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved6 comments
- Watch: Action Records documentary charting its place at the heart of Preston music scene1 comments
- Ringway roadworks: Overnight and weekend lane closures for urgent bridge repair works1 comments