Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- Marcus and Pareece Bottomley missing: Police growing increasingly concerned for Preston youngsters 8,187 views
- Missing Ribbleton brother and sister Marcus and Pareece Bottomley FOUND safe and well 1,353 views
- Update: Chloe Tate found: Lea teenager had not been seen since Saturday 979 views
- In pictures: Turtle Bay gets ready to open 723 views
- Preston Christmas Market opening times announced 252 views
- Preston Market plans: Architects to be confirmed for next step in Indoor Market demolition7 comments
- Opinion: Why art-deco beauty Lancastria House needs to be saved from Preston Markets plan5 comments
- Watch: Replay back #AskRankin our debate with Preston City Council leader Peter Rankin4 comments
- Bonfire Night 2014: Firework displays in and around Preston3 comments
- Deepdale tramline: Councillors defer decision as Preston tramline moves small step closer3 comments