Preston in the Picture: The Guild Wheel – Preston Skyline
This picture was taken from the banks of the River Ribble, close to the entrance to Preston Docks. It’s a stretch of the river that was once referred to locally as ‘Little Blackpool’, due to the small piece of ‘sandy’ shore by the river at low tide – oh happy days!
The path that runs by the river now is part of the Guild Wheel, a 21 mile circular route around Preston which is due to open officially in August.
It’s going to be a great way to explore the varied scenery around the City and it’s sure to be extremely popular as the weather improves and people discover the great outdoors again. The paths are great for cycling too and I’ve already noticed more and more people enjoying a bike ride along the stretches of the route that have been finished already.
The Guild Wheel is a partnership project by Preston City Council and Lancashire County Council. It will be one legacy of the 2012 Preston Guild that will still be popular come the next Preston Guild.
To get this view of Preston City Centre along the River Ribble, I had to wait a while for the sun to highlight the City centre buildings. I also had to use a telephoto lens to get in close from my distant vantage point.
Photo: Nikon D200, 70-200mm f2.8 lens
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 22nd, April 2012
Most Read posts
- Snow warning: Preston expected to see some snow during Wednesday and Thursday 298 views
- Lancashire council defers Cuadrilla fracking decision for at least eight weeks amidst huge protests 270 views
- Moor Park to Host to Rockprest Festival in July 2015 263 views
- New: Exciting new wine bar Review coming to Preston Guild Hall 190 views
- Preston City Council anounces a freeze on pay and display car park charges 143 views
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo6 comments
- Moor Park to Host to Rockprest Festival in July 20154 comments
- A brief history of Preston’s former public tramways5 comments
- Police close Lane Ends as man hit by car5 comments
- Blog Preston launches mobile and tablet app8 comments