Why is youth unemployment so high? The ONS explains
At the last count, UK youth unemployment passed 1 million, with Preston’s 3,204 benefit claimants amongst the highest in the country. The Office For National Statistics (ONS) periodically supply details of the latest figures across the country, with the North West consistently amongst the hardest hit areas of the country. Currently UK-wise unemployment is at 8.4%, the highest level since 1995.
The ONS have also started a video series on their YouTube channel, designed to explain key issues behind the figures in a clear and understandable way. Seeing as unemployment is a particularly pressing issue in Preston, I thought I’d post the ONS’ video explaining the latest youth unemployment figures. We’ll also have a story up next week about a local business that is trying to challenge youth unemployment.
- 2nd, March 2012
Our website visitors could be seeing your advert here
Most Read posts
- Wedding guest pair hunted by police after teenagers left with serious injuries 8,040 views
- Preston woman becomes centre of internet storm thanks to Glasgow hostel review 1,395 views
- Beautiful Planet relocates to new premises 193 views
- Man wanted after sexual assault on teenager in Walton-le-Dale 181 views
- Tributes paid to man killed in Fulwood crash 158 views