Why is youth unemployment so high? The ONS explains
At the last count, UK youth unemployment passed 1 million, with Preston’s 3,204 benefit claimants amongst the highest in the country. The Office For National Statistics (ONS) periodically supply details of the latest figures across the country, with the North West consistently amongst the hardest hit areas of the country. Currently UK-wise unemployment is at 8.4%, the highest level since 1995.
The ONS have also started a video series on their YouTube channel, designed to explain key issues behind the figures in a clear and understandable way. Seeing as unemployment is a particularly pressing issue in Preston, I thought I’d post the ONS’ video explaining the latest youth unemployment figures. We’ll also have a story up next week about a local business that is trying to challenge youth unemployment.
- 2nd, March 2012
Most Read posts
- Wanted sex offender Leanne Gilder could be in Preston 6,197 views
- Shanice Romanienko missing: Police growing concerned for Preston teenager 1,938 views
- Preston’s first ever Comic Convention brings in the crowds to Guild Hall 532 views
- In pictures: Preston as it was in 1985 482 views
- Bonfire Night 2014: Firework displays in and around Preston 391 views
- Fishergate Gateway development officially opens following completion8 comments
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city6 comments
- Win: Tickets to the first Frog and Bucket night at Preston Guild Hall4 comments
- Deepdale tramline and station proposal set for rejection4 comments
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion4 comments