Why is youth unemployment so high? The ONS explains
At the last count, UK youth unemployment passed 1 million, with Preston’s 3,204 benefit claimants amongst the highest in the country. The Office For National Statistics (ONS) periodically supply details of the latest figures across the country, with the North West consistently amongst the hardest hit areas of the country. Currently UK-wise unemployment is at 8.4%, the highest level since 1995.
The ONS have also started a video series on their YouTube channel, designed to explain key issues behind the figures in a clear and understandable way. Seeing as unemployment is a particularly pressing issue in Preston, I thought I’d post the ONS’ video explaining the latest youth unemployment figures. We’ll also have a story up next week about a local business that is trying to challenge youth unemployment.
- 2nd, March 2012
Most Read posts
- Leyland Road water leak hits homes in Penwortham and southern Preston 3,206 views
- Mokai nightclub remains open as owner joins call for Church Street facelift 438 views
- Win the chance to be at the Turtle Bay launch party in Preston 434 views
- Olive Tree Brasserie opens to bring a taste of the Mediterranean to Preston city centre 339 views
- Fire crews put out blaze at Tickled Trout Hotel 272 views
- Preston Market plans: Architects to be confirmed for next step in Indoor Market demolition7 comments
- Opinion: Why art-deco beauty Lancastria House needs to be saved from Preston Markets plan5 comments
- Watch: Replay back #AskRankin our debate with Preston City Council leader Peter Rankin4 comments
- Bonfire Night 2014: Firework displays in and around Preston3 comments
- Deepdale tramline: Councillors defer decision as Preston tramline moves small step closer3 comments