Why is youth unemployment so high? The ONS explains
At the last count, UK youth unemployment passed 1 million, with Preston’s 3,204 benefit claimants amongst the highest in the country. The Office For National Statistics (ONS) periodically supply details of the latest figures across the country, with the North West consistently amongst the hardest hit areas of the country. Currently UK-wise unemployment is at 8.4%, the highest level since 1995.
The ONS have also started a video series on their YouTube channel, designed to explain key issues behind the figures in a clear and understandable way. Seeing as unemployment is a particularly pressing issue in Preston, I thought I’d post the ONS’ video explaining the latest youth unemployment figures. We’ll also have a story up next week about a local business that is trying to challenge youth unemployment.
- 2nd, March 2012
Most Read posts
- Scare Kingdom attraction returns to Preston in October 2,930 views
- Police appeal after teenage girl grabbed by man in Moor Park 1,026 views
- Preston’s homeless: the story of Bill goes viral on Facebook 990 views
- Watch as man skinny dips in the River Ribble 806 views
- 15 literary figures you never knew were associated with Preston 800 views
- Palestinian flag flying in Preston: UKIP call for resignations over flag decision30 comments
- Calls for Israeli flag to fly above Preston Town Hall32 comments
- 3D video of proposed Eastways Hub development released4 comments
- Former member of the Royal Artillery regiment dies at 1023 comments
- Preston Bus Station: County council announcement due in September3 comments