Why is youth unemployment so high? The ONS explains
At the last count, UK youth unemployment passed 1 million, with Preston’s 3,204 benefit claimants amongst the highest in the country. The Office For National Statistics (ONS) periodically supply details of the latest figures across the country, with the North West consistently amongst the hardest hit areas of the country. Currently UK-wise unemployment is at 8.4%, the highest level since 1995.
The ONS have also started a video series on their YouTube channel, designed to explain key issues behind the figures in a clear and understandable way. Seeing as unemployment is a particularly pressing issue in Preston, I thought I’d post the ONS’ video explaining the latest youth unemployment figures. We’ll also have a story up next week about a local business that is trying to challenge youth unemployment.
- 2nd, March 2012
Most Read posts
- Joshua Bolton and Chloe Womack missing: Two Preston teenagers not seen since Wednesday 6,610 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7) 2,960 views
- Milda Okunyte RIP: Police appeal to piece together Preston student’s final movements 2,467 views
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land 1,936 views
- Teenage boy robbed and assaulted on West Cliff 976 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7)21 comments
- Preston has topped the list as Britain’s unhealthiest high street7 comments
- First Look: New coffee and ice cream bar on Winckley Street7 comments
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land6 comments
- Preston city centre businesses hit back at unhealthiest high street report5 comments