Mapped: Global Rainbow lights up sky over Preston
A colourful symbol of the upcoming Guild and Olympics lit up the skies above Preston and the surrounding area tonight.
The Global Rainbow light show will last for three nights and be visible for up to 12 miles away from the centre of the city.
Below is a map showing where the rainbow has been spotted and where from, if you can see the rainbow please email us the photo and say where you were or tweet us a pic and let us know your location.
You can also post your photos of the Rainbow on the Preston Flickr group.
View Global Rainbow over Preston in a larger map
The huge beam of light – called The Global Rainbow – is made up of seven parallel beams of high spec lasers representing the seven colours of the rainbow.
It will mark the start of the Cultural Olympiad and hundreds of cultural events happening across the North West as part of the London 2012 Olympics.
Debbi Lander, the 2012 Creative Programmer for the North West, said: “London 2012 is not just about sport or spectatorship. It’s an opportunity to connect, to collaborate and be part of a community; and to celebrate the world’s largest global gathering on earth.
“This is our chance to reach out and feel part of something bigger and to use London 2012 as a platform to create interaction and community across the North West.”
“The coincidence of Preston Guild with London 2012 is an auspicious one and we are proud to launch the year‟s Cultural Olympiad journey for the North West region here in Preston. We look forward to welcoming artists and sportspeople and their audiences all back to ours in September.”
Let us know what you think of the Global Rainbow in the comments below
Image credit to Paul Melling
- 8th, March 2012
Most Read posts
- Man found dead near Lane Ends Post Office 5,452 views
- Sparrow hawk feasts on pigeon infront of startled Friargate shoppers 1,752 views
- Gridlock city: Why has Preston’s peak-time traffic become so much worse recently? 1,081 views
- Preston Christmas Market opening times announced 839 views
- Preston Western Distributor: Major new road for city moving to next stage 789 views
- Fishergate Gateway development officially opens following completion8 comments
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city6 comments
- Win: Tickets to the first Frog and Bucket night at Preston Guild Hall4 comments
- Deepdale tramline and station proposal set for rejection4 comments
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion4 comments