Preston in the Picture: The Guild Hall
This week’s photograph is another of Preston’s landmark buildings which tends to divide opinion, but perhaps not with quite as much passion as the bus station to which it is joined. Over the years Preston Guild Hall has played host to some of the biggest names in show-business. I can remember queuing overnight on one occasion for Elton John tickets at the height of his fame for what was aptly called the ‘Louder than Concorde…but not quite as pretty’ tour. Other notable superstars to take to the stage have included, David Bowie, Queen, Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra.
These days you are far more likely to see some psychic act or tribute band rather than the current crop of pop stars who tend to head for the stadiums and larger venues where they can reach more people and make more money. The Guild Hall has also been popular as a sporting venue and hosted everything from bowling to badminton and snooker of course. The Guild Hall opened in 1972 and it’s nice to see that there is a wide range of entertainment planned for this Guild year. I for one was pleasantly surprised when I visited the ‘What’s On’ pages of the Guild Hall website.
This week’s photograph was taken from the top of the escalators – it’s another one of those views where it really is worth looking up for the photograph opportunities.
Nikon D700, 16-35mm f4 VR, f8, 1/200 sec ISO800
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 26th, February 2012
Most Read posts
- Moor Park to Host to Rockprest Festival in July 2015 1,991 views
- Snow warning: Preston expected to see some snow during Wednesday and Thursday 1,406 views
- New: Exciting new wine bar Review coming to Preston Guild Hall 593 views
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo 394 views
- Police look for man after he exposed himself to children on disused Ribbleton railway line 333 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston4 comments
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am5 comments
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo3 comments
- Blog Preston launches mobile and tablet app8 comments
- Belladonna’s Boudoir to open on Cannon Street1 comments