Preston in the Picture: The Guild Hall
This week’s photograph is another of Preston’s landmark buildings which tends to divide opinion, but perhaps not with quite as much passion as the bus station to which it is joined. Over the years Preston Guild Hall has played host to some of the biggest names in show-business. I can remember queuing overnight on one occasion for Elton John tickets at the height of his fame for what was aptly called the ‘Louder than Concorde…but not quite as pretty’ tour. Other notable superstars to take to the stage have included, David Bowie, Queen, Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra.
These days you are far more likely to see some psychic act or tribute band rather than the current crop of pop stars who tend to head for the stadiums and larger venues where they can reach more people and make more money. The Guild Hall has also been popular as a sporting venue and hosted everything from bowling to badminton and snooker of course. The Guild Hall opened in 1972 and it’s nice to see that there is a wide range of entertainment planned for this Guild year. I for one was pleasantly surprised when I visited the ‘What’s On’ pages of the Guild Hall website.
This week’s photograph was taken from the top of the escalators – it’s another one of those views where it really is worth looking up for the photograph opportunities.
Nikon D700, 16-35mm f4 VR, f8, 1/200 sec ISO800
Paul Melling [Paul Melling Photography]
- 26th, February 2012
Most Read posts
- Morrisons cash thief wanted by police in Preston 707 views
- Preston woman who let dog roam the city streets and foul is fined 461 views
- Deepdale litter lout fined for a second time over rubbish bags 335 views
- Preston College demolition plans hinge on bat survey findings 207 views
- Miss Preston calls on city to back Foxton Centre food donation campaign 199 views
- Election 2015: UKIP Preston candidate James Barker complains after not being included in Preston College hustings14 comments
- Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures (Part 2)9 comments
- UCLan Students’ Union hosts ‘puppy room’ for stressed out academics5 comments
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7)31 comments
- The Guild Ale House planned for listed building in Preston city centre3 comments