Day-long music festival to takeover Avenham Park for Guild celebrations
Preston’s Avenham Park will host a day-long music festival as part of the Preston Guild in September.
Over 15,000 music fans will cram into the park for the ‘G-volution’ event which could see acts as big as Dizzee Rascal, Noah and the Whale and Deadmau5 perform.
The festival, which will be a sister event to the North East’s Evolution Festival, is set to take place on Saturday 8th September.
Leader of Preston City Council Peter Rankin said: “G-volution will give a Preston twist to the Evolution festival. The Guild will attract people from across the North West, the UK and internationally, so it’s fitting that we welcome them with the party of the year, of which G-volution will be one of the biggest highlights.
“The festival will welcome some well known names to the city and show Preston at its best. The Evolution team have shown their ability to create a great event with some top acts in the North East and we are looking forward to hosting something equally spectacular in September here in Preston.”
No acts have been confirmed for the festival, but organisers are promising big names to rival the Newcastle line-up.
The full line-up is expected to be announced in early April and tickets will go on sale at the same time.
Evolution Festival Director, Jim Mawdsley, said: “This is the first time we have branched outside of the North East and we’re very pleased that we’re doing this as part of the Preston Guild 2012 celebrations. The whole Guild year and in particular the ten-day Guild City Festival is due to be a real crowd-pleaser.
“We are going to be to putting on a very special event for music fans from across the country and are looking forward to announcing the line up in the coming months.”
Music fans of all tastes are expected to be catered for during the Guild celebrations, after the announcement that Jose Carreras will headline the Guild’s Proms in the Park event.
What do you think about the event? Who would you like to see playing at ‘G-volution’? Let us know your views in the comments below
- 27th, February 2012
Most Read posts
- Gridlock city: Why has Preston’s peak-time traffic become so much worse recently? 4,757 views
- Man found dead near Lane Ends Post Office 4,405 views
- Preston Gridlock: Map showing roadworks circle of hell around city 2,639 views
- Preston Christmas Market opening times announced 2,458 views
- Sex offender Leanne Gilder arrested just outside Preston after breaching licence 1,327 views
- Fishergate Gateway development officially opens following completion8 comments
- Preston is officially England’s GLOOMIEST city6 comments
- Win: Tickets to the first Frog and Bucket night at Preston Guild Hall4 comments
- Deepdale tramline and station proposal set for rejection4 comments
- Seven things you said on Fishergate new layout completion4 comments