New exhibition looks at the clothes behind Preston Guild
As part of “Dressing up for the Guild”, costume and textile specialist Uthra Rajgopal is working with the museum to investigate Preston Guild garments including historic fancy dress and uncovering the stories behind the collection.
Dr Caroline Alexander, curator of decorative art at the Harris said: “Fancy dress is a fascinating subject in the history of Preston Guild and a potentially rich but untapped subject in dress and textile history.
“In particular, Uthra’s research will focus on a fascinating set of fancy dress outfits and photographs featuring or linked to cotton and the textiles trades.
“By exploring how the textile industry represented itself and its heritage at this historic event, we hope that Uthra’s research will bring an intriguing new perspective to textile studies.”
The photograph above is one of many that will be studied and investigated. It shows 10 year old Lilian Bailey wearing a Guild dress from 1922.
Rajgopal’s work will include researching how various trades, churches and schools contributed to the ceremony of civic pride. She said: “I have always been drawn to the study of why and how we choose what to wear.
“Historically, the idea of dressing up and in particular, character costume, provides such a rich source of information about ideas of gender, consumption, performance and even class structure.”
Find out more about the Guild by reading our previous articles.
- 16th, January 2012
Most Read posts
- Unexploded mortar found near Avenham Park 684 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures 667 views
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved 622 views
- Watch: Military mortar detonated in controlled explosion in fields near River Ribble 484 views
- Garstang Road collision: Motorcyclist in hospital as police appeal for information 472 views
- New Series: Nostalgic 1960’s/70’s Preston revealed in pictures11 comments
- Fracking near Preston: Further delay to decision on Cuadrilla plans9 comments
- Miller Arcade plans to create new flats, restaurant and roof terrace due to be approved3 comments
- Watch: Action Records documentary charting its place at the heart of Preston music scene1 comments
- Ringway roadworks: Overnight and weekend lane closures for urgent bridge repair works1 comments