Preston Market aiming to win national award
Preston Market is asking for your support to help it be voted Britain’s Favourite Market.
Last year the market finished outside the top four in the award, with market chiefs blaming the city’s small population for defeat to Leicester who scooped the award.
Voting opened on the National Association of British Market Authorities website on Thursday 1st December and runs until 23rd December. Click here to vote for Preston Market.
Market manager David Bullock said: “Voting for Preston Markets is a great way of showing your appreciation for the quality service provided by the traders week in and week out.
“However winning such a competition would not only give the traders of Preston Market a huge boost but it would also be a great positive message about the City, particularly with recent disappointing news on the Markets proposed redevelopment.”
The council has been supporting the market bid by creating a short film about the markets and the traders who pack both the indoor and outdoor market halls.
The video shows shoppers going about their business and short interviews with traders about the sense of place the market gives them and the pride they feel working there.
The indoor market is also branching out to run cookery demonstrations with the Market Kitchen launching in the new year.
The free event will take place at stall 71 on Friday 6th January 2012 from 12noon, and you can watch experts preparing fresh produce from the market.
Blog Preston backed the market to win last year, and is doing so again. You can read our editor’s comment on the reason why you should vote for Preston Market.
Image credit to George D Thompson
Will you be voting for the market? Do you shop there? Let us know your views in the comments below
- 12th, December 2011
Most Read posts
- Milda Okunyte RIP: Friends gather to celebrate artistic creativity of Lithuanian student who died on Tuesday 311 views
- Preston runaway teenagers found safe and well by police 250 views
- Opinion: Why the humble coffee bean is the answer to Preston’s Unhealthiest High-street label 209 views
- Met Office issues severe weather warning with both wind and rain expected 152 views
- Broadband boost for Preston’s small businesses 141 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7)24 comments
- Preston city centre businesses hit back at unhealthiest high street report6 comments
- Preston has topped the list as Britain’s unhealthiest high street7 comments
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land6 comments
- Opinion: Why the humble coffee bean is the answer to Preston’s Unhealthiest High-street label5 comments