Comment: 2012 represents the chance to show what Preston is made of
The next 12 months will be momentous and historic for the city of Preston, and this post is designed as a blatant rallying cry.
The city, and its people, we, have a chance to shine as the eyes of the world will be on us as we take part in one of the longest running Lancashire traditions – the Preston Guild.
Forget the Olympics, this is the event we’re all waiting for.
Last week’s announcements came thick and fast, with the BBC announcing it will be descending across the city to produce a live re-telling of the Passion of Christmas. The Preston Passion. This will be live on BBC 1, not tucked away on the night schedule of BBC 4, but front and centre to millions of viewers.
And the city will also have a chance to shows its other passion, for volunteering and community spirit as hundreds of years of tradition are shaken up by allowing 20 people to be honoured for their role helping make the city what it is.
Put this alongside the processions, the concerts, the dinners and the marathons and you’ve got chances to get involved coming out of every pore of the Guild.
There is a team of people, highly paid and highly skilled, who are putting all of this together – but they can only do so much. The challenge now is how much the people of Preston, who with one eye on the economy and the Olympics, will grasp the chance to be involved.
This Christmas, take a chance to take stock of all the ways you can do something for Preston. Every day you drive its streets, catch its buses or breath in the fresh air in Avenham Park. Now is our chance to show just how much we, both as current residents or those who have passed down the cobbled streets or academic corridors, love it.
It’s our city, and it’s our Guild. Forget the tightly controlled release scheduled, the meetings and the funding problems. The Guild has operated for centuries mainly on one thing, human toil, spirit and ideas.
We need the people of Preston to do what they are good at, doing things. So sign up, sponsor, put on your running shoes and take every opportunity you can to be a part of the Guild.
Because you never know when you’ll get the chance to be a part of another one…
Image credit to Preston Digital Archive
- 22nd, December 2011
Most Read posts
- Snow warning: Preston expected to see some snow during Wednesday and Thursday 1,524 views
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo 630 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston 392 views
- ‘Kiss and Ride’ now in operation at Preston Train Station 132 views
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am 127 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston4 comments
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am5 comments
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo3 comments
- Blog Preston launches mobile and tablet app8 comments
- Belladonna’s Boudoir to open on Cannon Street1 comments