Christmas market and late night shopping for Preston city centre during festive period
Free parking, a Christmas market and late opening hours will be unleashed to help keep the festive pounds flowing in the city centre this December.
Preston’s Business Improvement District (BID) are launching a TV advertising campaign to attract shoppers to Preston, and also helped organise a Christmas market.
More than 60 traders will take over the Flag Market on Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 December for a Christmas Lancashire Market.
The event is expected to attract over 10,000 shoppers on the hunt for Lancashire produce and gifts.
Mark Whittle from Preston BID said retailers were upbeat about the Christmas period.
He said: “Confidence on the high street is in abundance, such initiatives as Debenham’s planned investment and well-known names such as Krispy Kreme and Sugarcane investing in the city, it’s clear to see that people see Preston is definitely on the radar.
“BID’s campaign is also adding weight to Preston’s offering. The recent Christmas Lights Switch On, which attracted thousands of people, coupled with additional Christmas lights that we have funded, are all adding to the mix.
“People keep banging the Tithebarn drum, and whilst the setback is disappointing, we have to work with what we have with a view to increasing our profile and attractiveness by continually tempting investors to see Preston’s potential.”
Mr Whittle said the advertising campaign, launching on Granada from November 28th was aimed at people within a 30 minute radius of the city.
Meanwhile shopping centres will be throwing open their doors until 8pm on Wednesday and Thursday nights to try and tempt present-hunters to part with their hard earned cash.
Council chiefs have also announced there will be no charge for parking in the Bus Station, Market or Hill Street car parks during late night shopping times.
The Fishergate centre will be offering free car parking from 5.30pm on late night shopping nights and from two weeks before Christmas will be opening until 10pm on a Wednesday and Thursday.
St George’s Shopping Centre will open until 8pm on Wednesday and Thursday from Wednesday 30 November until Wednesday 21 December.
Out of the city centre, the Deepdale Retail Park will be extending its hours from Monday 28th November when stores will be open until 9pm on weekdays and 7pm on Saturdays.
In the week beginning Monday 19th December stores will be open until 10pm on weekdays.
View a map showing the car parks available in Preston city centre
View Preston city centre car parks in a larger map
Where will you be doing your Christmas shopping this year? Does the city centre have enough to offer? Let us know your views in the comments below
- 24th, November 2011
Most Read posts
- Preston carpeted with gigantic hail stones 2,562 views
- CCTV released in hunt for Plungington bottom-grabber 849 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 3) 687 views
- Changes to be trialed for Penwortham flyover to reduce congestion 685 views
- New pictures of Simpson’s Gold Thread Works revealed by Preston Historical Society 359 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 3)18 comments
- Could Acregate pub become a new Muslim school for the Blind?7 comments
- Fishergate roadworks: Trees to be cut down as work continues10 comments
- Opinion: Why council tax HAS to rise in Preston…9 comments
- Welcome to Adelphi Square: University of Central Lancashire unveils giant new redevelopment plan21 comments