FSA reveals Preston’s most unhygienic eateries (Mapped)
A new scheme by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has published all hygiene ratings for businesses that deal in food as assessed by local councils. Businesses are assessed using a five star rating system – 0 stars indicate ‘urgent improvement necessary’ while 5 stars indicate ‘very good’.
The worst businesses in Preston who scored 0 stars were Curry Cottage, Drumstix, Pak Sweet Centre & Takeaway, Sandos and Cafe Bar. There were 336 outlets assessed in the PR1 postcode, and you can view a full list of them here. The Equator Arts Cafe, Mad Ferret and New Continental fared much better, all achieving a five star rating.
The system has been designed to provide consumers with clearer information about hygiene, say the FSA.
As well as restaurants and takeaways, the system also covers supermarkets, work canteens, hotels, schools, care homes and food shops. Inspectors assessed the hygiene rating of a business by how hygienically the food is handled, cooked and stored, as well as the condition of the building itself.
Below I’ve mapped a few popular eateries within the PR1 postcode so you can find those nearest to you, and may provide a few surprises.
Red pins indicate 0 stars, (urgent improvement necessary)
Purple pins indicate 1 star, (major improvement necessary)
Yellow pins indicate 2 stars, (improvement necessary)
Blue pins indicate 5 stars (very good)
View Preston eateries rated by Hygiene rating in a larger map
- 3rd, June 2011
Most Read posts
- Milda Okunyte RIP: Friends gather to celebrate artistic creativity of Lithuanian student who died on Tuesday 327 views
- Lancashire Market to be held this Saturday 322 views
- Preston runaway teenagers found safe and well by police 269 views
- Opinion: Why the humble coffee bean is the answer to Preston’s Unhealthiest High-street label 225 views
- Broadband boost for Preston’s small businesses 157 views
- Nostalgic 1980’s Preston revealed in pictures (part 7)24 comments
- Preston city centre businesses hit back at unhealthiest high street report6 comments
- Preston has topped the list as Britain’s unhealthiest high street7 comments
- Six things Prestonians said on hearing city has unhealthiest high street in the land6 comments
- Opinion: Why the humble coffee bean is the answer to Preston’s Unhealthiest High-street label5 comments