Wood carver returns to Preston park
Moor Park has received two new works of art made by a prestigious wood carver.
Mick Burns has been a chainsaw carver for more than 25 years.
He has designed two new benches to be placed in the play area, one of a giant lizard and another that mirrors the observatory and water features found in the area.
Mick said: “The intention is to put these in the children’s play area as a little bit of interesting furniture other than just the play equipment.”
The artist uses a range of chainsaws to create his sculptures.
The main work is done by a power saw reaching 120cc and the finer details are then added with a carving saw and sanders.
Mick has had to change his approach to this project as he only had two days in which to complete it.
He said: “I’ll look at the log and roughly work out what I might be able to get into it. Because I have to work quite quickly, I don’t really get a chance to do any sketches or proposals.
“I’m sketching on the log as I go along so it’s like sketching with a chainsaw.”
Mick has worked in the city before. He created a bench in Haslam Park and carved a tree in Ashton Park and is hopeful that the new masterpieces will go down well with the public.
“I’m hoping that people will appreciate the novelty of them and I hope that they’ll last a while too,” he added.
- 30th, March 2011
Most Read posts
- A59 accident: Driver in serious condition in hospital after smash 705 views
- Police hunt two men who raided flat above Preston takeaway 488 views
- Preston supermarkets Christmas 2014 opening hours 422 views
- Appeal to find missing Fulwood cat Tilly 317 views
- Preston City Council cutbacks: City hit with one of biggest decreases in government funding 250 views
- Leyland Road water leak hits homes in Penwortham and southern Preston5 comments
- Missing Ribbleton brother and sister Marcus and Pareece Bottomley FOUND safe and well4 comments
- Alive After Five Awards finalists announced as 32,000 votes cast3 comments
- Preston Bus Station: Brake applied to £23 million plan as Conservatives make call-in request5 comments
- Water supply restored to Penwortham and southern Preston after NINE hours2 comments