Wood carver returns to Preston park
Moor Park has received two new works of art made by a prestigious wood carver.
Mick Burns has been a chainsaw carver for more than 25 years.
He has designed two new benches to be placed in the play area, one of a giant lizard and another that mirrors the observatory and water features found in the area.
Mick said: “The intention is to put these in the children’s play area as a little bit of interesting furniture other than just the play equipment.”
The artist uses a range of chainsaws to create his sculptures.
The main work is done by a power saw reaching 120cc and the finer details are then added with a carving saw and sanders.
Mick has had to change his approach to this project as he only had two days in which to complete it.
He said: “I’ll look at the log and roughly work out what I might be able to get into it. Because I have to work quite quickly, I don’t really get a chance to do any sketches or proposals.
“I’m sketching on the log as I go along so it’s like sketching with a chainsaw.”
Mick has worked in the city before. He created a bench in Haslam Park and carved a tree in Ashton Park and is hopeful that the new masterpieces will go down well with the public.
“I’m hoping that people will appreciate the novelty of them and I hope that they’ll last a while too,” he added.
- 30th, March 2011
Most Read posts
- Snow warning: Preston expected to see some snow during Wednesday and Thursday 1,313 views
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo 552 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston 311 views
- Police look for man after he exposed himself to children on disused Ribbleton railway line 105 views
- ‘Kiss and Ride’ now in operation at Preston Train Station 102 views
- J.D. Wetherspoon introduce Lloyds No.1 Bar, ‘The Twelve Tellers’ to Preston4 comments
- New Preston city centre Wetherspoons to be called Twelve Tellers and serve booze until 2am5 comments
- Preston dog owner fined £220 for failing to clear up dog poo3 comments
- Blog Preston launches mobile and tablet app8 comments
- Belladonna’s Boudoir to open on Cannon Street1 comments