Preston in the running for top market award
Preston’s markets could be crowned the best in Britain as shoppers are urged to give their vote in a national competition.
The city’s markets including the Indoor, Covered, Car Boot and Flea Markets need its shoppers and traders to vote for it to become the best in Britain.
Preston City Council is urging residents to cast their vote via an online poll.
Councillor Anthony Gornall, cabinet member for environment and regeneration, said: “This is a great opportunity for members of the public to support their local market, and give the traders some recognition for all their hard work.
“Preston Market not only provides a massive selection of fresh and locally grown produce, but also a huge rage of every day items including clothing, cards and fabrics.”
Previous winners have included nearby Bury Market and last year’s winner was Coventry Market.
Ellen Wade, who runs the Banana King stall and whose family have traded on Preston Market for six generations, urged all her customers to vote for Preston Market.
She said: “We and our fellow traders provide a service to the public 52 weeks-a-year and we have thousands of loyal customers who shop on the market every week.
“I’ve visited markets all over the country and in my opinion Preston is the best.”
Preston Market is believed to date back to 1179 when a Charter was granted by King Henry II. King Henry also gave permission for the then town to hold three ‘Pot Fairs’ a year.
The competition is organised by the National Association of British Authorities (NABMA) and votes can be cast online via the NABMA website, by clicking the Britain’s Favourite Market logo in the top-corner.
The winner is due to be announced in January 2011 at an awards ceremony in Birmingham.
Image credits to George D Thompson
- 26th, December 2010
Most Read posts
- Preston is officially the third WETTEST city or town in Britain 1,213 views
- Penwortham girl dies during Cadley FC under-16s match 930 views
- Deepdale Morrisons lab store to close for refit and re-open in December 612 views
- Alternative Lancashire Tourism Awards: The best things to do near Preston 495 views
- Man dies after car collides with tree in Penwortham 461 views
- Police to take no action over homophobic leaflets put through doors after Preston Pride event13 comments
- Goosnargh country manor plan for multi-millionaire Preston family is rejected9 comments
- All go for changes to Preston Guild Hall entranceway and new Italian restaurant1 comments
- Foxton Centre scoops nearly £300,000 in lottery funding for cafe project1 comments
- Watch as man skinny dips in the River Ribble2 comments